Creating a fan control via a Potentiometer

In summary, the individual is trying to create their own computer fan control using a 100ohm potentiometer. They have connected the potentiometer to the yellow wire (+12V) and black wire (ground) of the fan, but the fan remains at full speed and does not change when the knob is turned. They ask for clarification on the circuit and mention that the colors of the wires may not be standardized. They are advised to check the resistance with a multimeter and try connecting the potentiometer to the red wire (+12V) instead. After making this change, the fan control works successfully.
CyborgPatrick
Hi, I wanted to create my own computer fan control and bought a 100ohm potentiometer.

I have hooked the pot as shown in the picture except that it is in the yellow wire (+12V) and not the red one (+5V) , black is ground.

control.jpg

The fan will start at full speed and doesn't change one bit if I turn the knob. Any ideas why the pot doesn't work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just for clarification, does the attached circuit accurately represent what you have done? i.e. you're essentially trying to create a voltage divider with only one resistance (assuming the load resistance is << the potentiometer).

Attachments

• Potentiometer.JPG
    Potentiometer.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,136
If this is a standard computer fan, the red wire is probably 12V (or sometimes 5V), black is ground, and yellow is the tachometer OUTPUT from the fan. HOWEVER, the colours are not standardized across all manufacturers (though the functions will be--the fan label usually tells you which is which).

Can you hook up a multimeter to the leads you've connected, and see if the resistance is actually changing when you turn it?

EDIT: What I meant to say with the colour coding is that you've left it somewhat ambiguous as to which red and which yellow wires you're using: the fan's or the power supply's.

The POT is currently attached to the yellow wire as Zryn's picture shows. And the other wires are unchanged. My PSU has a color label saying yellow (+12V) black (ground), another black (ground) and a red (+5V) .
But I think you are right about the color coding of the 3-pin fan wires, red is +12V, yellow is monitor (RPM) and black is ground.

I will try putting the POT on the red one and see if it fixes it. Seeing the color label on the PSU just confused me a bit + I'm not that good with electronics.

Added 6.12 PM
Works like a charm, thanks for the help!

Last edited:

1. What is a potentiometer and how does it work?

A potentiometer is a type of variable resistor that can be used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It has three terminals, with the middle one connected to a movable contact that can be adjusted to vary the resistance in the circuit. This changes the amount of voltage and current that passes through the circuit, allowing for control over devices such as fans.

2. How can a potentiometer be used to control a fan?

A potentiometer can be connected in series with the fan in a circuit. By adjusting the position of the movable contact, the resistance in the circuit changes, which in turn changes the speed of the fan. This allows for manual control over the fan's speed, and can also be used to turn the fan on and off.

3. What are the advantages of using a potentiometer for fan control?

One advantage of using a potentiometer for fan control is that it allows for manual adjustment of the fan speed, providing flexibility and customization. It also eliminates the need for complex electronic circuits and can be easily integrated into existing systems. Additionally, potentiometers are relatively inexpensive and widely available.

4. Are there any limitations to using a potentiometer for fan control?

One limitation of using a potentiometer for fan control is that it can only control the speed of the fan, and not other functions such as direction or oscillation. Additionally, the maximum speed of the fan may be limited by the maximum resistance of the potentiometer and the amount of available power in the circuit.

5. Can a potentiometer be used for automatic fan control?

Yes, a potentiometer can be used for automatic fan control by incorporating it into a more complex circuit with sensors and a microcontroller. The potentiometer would adjust the resistance in response to the input from the sensors, allowing for automatic control over the fan speed based on environmental conditions such as temperature or humidity.