Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a Gyroscope

1. Aug 7, 2009 #1
    Hello guys, I am currently going through my undergrad in mech. engineering and i am taking a manufacturing process class and we are creating a gyroscope as one of the two projects for the course. The class is going to have a competition to see whose gyro would stay up the longest, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to help me gain an advantage. The materials we are using are brass bearings, steel spindle, aluminum frame, and i think the ring and the circular object is made of steel as well. Not sure yet because it has only been one day of shop and i only made the spindle. Any input would be appreciated. If i can i will try and post up the specs of the gyro. Thanks. My TA said that a common arguement for the spindle is to either have a sharp point or a rounded point. the ends are filed at 60 degrees if that kind of help. but yea thanks alot.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. We ask a lot of questions here. To keep the gyro spinning the longest, what do you think you want to maximize and minimize in your design... ?

4. Aug 8, 2009 #3
    well there isnt much i can change from the specs we are suppose to follow. There are just things like to be more careful when making the part i guess. Like when i was making the spindle my TA said i could have left the point a bit rounded off like a ball point pen, but some like to have it a sharp fine point. I was hoping to receive some insight like that. just minor tweaks or things i should look out for when creating the rest of my gyro. Thanks

5. Oct 28, 2009 #4

hi there....could u help me in designing the gyrocope...??i am undergraduate student and my project is to design and fabricate the mechanical gyroscope for laboratory use...could u give me some idea/design ??thanks...

6. Oct 28, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

We do not do your school project work for you here on the PF. What other research have you done so far? What different types of gyroscopes are there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook