Making a Gyroscope: Get an Edge in the Competition

• Thread starter 12danny21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gyroscope
In summary: What are the properties of gyroscopes?In summary, the conversation is about a student who is taking a manufacturing process class and is creating a gyroscope for a competition. They are seeking advice on how to gain an advantage and are discussing the materials and design options for the gyro. The conversation also includes a request for help in designing a mechanical gyroscope for a school project, to which the response is to do further research on types and properties of gyroscopes.
12danny21
Hello guys, I am currently going through my undergrad in mech. engineering and i am taking a manufacturing process class and we are creating a gyroscope as one of the two projects for the course. The class is going to have a competition to see whose gyro would stay up the longest, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to help me gain an advantage. The materials we are using are brass bearings, steel spindle, aluminum frame, and i think the ring and the circular object is made of steel as well. Not sure yet because it has only been one day of shop and i only made the spindle. Any input would be appreciated. If i can i will try and post up the specs of the gyro. Thanks. My TA said that a common argument for the spindle is to either have a sharp point or a rounded point. the ends are filed at 60 degrees if that kind of help. but yea thanks alot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
12danny21 said:
Hello guys, I am currently going through my undergrad in mech. engineering and i am taking a manufacturing process class and we are creating a gyroscope as one of the two projects for the course. The class is going to have a competition to see whose gyro would stay up the longest, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do to help me gain an advantage. The materials we are using are brass bearings, steel spindle, aluminum frame, and i think the ring and the circular object is made of steel as well. Not sure yet because it has only been one day of shop and i only made the spindle. Any input would be appreciated. If i can i will try and post up the specs of the gyro. Thanks. My TA said that a common argument for the spindle is to either have a sharp point or a rounded point. the ends are filed at 60 degrees if that kind of help. but yea thanks alot.

Welcome to the PF. We ask a lot of questions here. To keep the gyro spinning the longest, what do you think you want to maximize and minimize in your design... ?

well there isn't much i can change from the specs we are suppose to follow. There are just things like to be more careful when making the part i guess. Like when i was making the spindle my TA said i could have left the point a bit rounded off like a ball point pen, but some like to have it a sharp fine point. I was hoping to receive some insight like that. just minor tweaks or things i should look out for when creating the rest of my gyro. Thanks

12danny21 said:

hi there...could u help me in designing the gyrocope...??i am undergraduate student and my project is to design and fabricate the mechanical gyroscope for laboratory use...could u give me some idea/design ??thanks...

azizi said:
hi there...could u help me in designing the gyrocope...??i am undergraduate student and my project is to design and fabricate the mechanical gyroscope for laboratory use...could u give me some idea/design ??thanks...

We do not do your school project work for you here on the PF. What other research have you done so far? What different types of gyroscopes are there?

What is a gyroscope?

A gyroscope is a device consisting of a spinning wheel or disc mounted in a frame, used to maintain orientation and balance in navigation, stabilization, and other applications.

Why is a gyroscope important in competition?

In competition, a gyroscope can give you an edge by providing stability and precision in movements. This can be especially useful in activities such as robotics, drone flying, and gymnastics.

How do you make a gyroscope?

To make a gyroscope, you will need a spinning wheel or disc, a frame to mount it on, and a motor to rotate the wheel. You will also need to balance the weight of the wheel to ensure smooth rotation. Additionally, you may need to add sensors and a control system to make the gyroscope more precise and responsive.

What are some factors to consider when making a gyroscope?

When making a gyroscope, you should consider the weight and balance of the spinning wheel, the type and power of the motor, and the overall design and stability of the frame. You should also consider the purpose of the gyroscope and what features it will need to fulfill its intended function.

Can a gyroscope be used for other purposes besides competition?

Yes, a gyroscope has many other applications besides competition. It is commonly used in navigation systems, robotics, aerospace engineering, and even in smartphones for motion sensing. Gyroscopes can also be used in scientific research and experiments to study motion and balance.