Creating an efficient cooling system

In summary: Air gapWalls of containerCooling pipeHeat radiator?Room air...air gap. If the air gap is large, the air within the chamber will not circulate and will become hotter and hotter. You might try to close the air gap by filling the container with something else (like water) or by using a fan to circulate the air.
jvlim
Hi. I have a closed container about 1.1L in volume and within this chamber is a continuous heat source. I am trying to regulate the container temperature without purging out or fanning the air contained inside the chamber out. I want the air within the chamber to circulate and I thought of creating a cooling system. I need help, I used copper coil 3/16 (size) about 5 feet long spiraled on top of this container (about 2 in high) and the 2 ends are connected to a pump continuously circulating water. I have reached a temperature about 45 degrees within the chamber and I can't seem to cool down the temperature inside the chamber. I need help in designing an efficient cooling system that can reduce the temperature inside to 30 degrees Celsius. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the power of the internal heat source?

Secondly, your description of the cooling system suggests to me that the water circulates in a closed loop - how is it then cooled? Or is it taken from a bigger reservoir and dumped somewhere?

Thanks for the response...The heat source is actually a sensor, which has a heater in it, it draws 150 mA from my 5V supply and a heating resistance which amounts to 33 ohms, so the power generated per sensors would be about 750 mW, I have 12 of them so the total amount of power is 9Watts. I am trying to a simple heat exchanger using the copper coil to absorb the heat and eventually to the water flowing through it, by absorbing the heat I was hoping to cool down the temperature inside the chamber...Thanks

Sorry I forgot to mention that I have 2 (5V) voltage regulator inside the container converting a 9V DC input to 5V, generating 2[(9v-5v)*1A)] = 8W. So the total power dissipation inside the chamber is 8W + 9W = 17W

Still not clear: is the water circuit open or closed? Put otherwise, is it fresh water entering the circuit, or is it recirculated?

I used a water that is recirculating (recycled). The pump pushes the water from the container to the copper tubing then back to the its container. Its a loop, the pump gets the water from the container and the end of the copper tube goes back to the cntainer...Thanks

jvlim said:
I used a water that is recirculating (recycled). The pump pushes the water from the container to the copper tubing then back to the its container. Its a loop, the pump gets the water from the container and the end of the copper tube goes back to the cntainer...Thanks

In that case, all you've done is construct an elaborate water heater. You're going to have to cool the water somehow, perhaps with something similar to an automobile radiator.

Have you measured the temperature of the water tank when the temperature of the box stabilizes at 45 degrees? I suspect that with this setup you shifted the problem of cooling your box to the problem of cooling your water tank (unless the water tank is HUGE). How big is the tank, anyway? Are there any sort of cooling aids to the tank?

I can't quite understand and no I haven't measured yet the temperature of the container when the temperature in the box stabilized at 45 deg C. The container is quite small its just 800 ml. How do you think I could remedy this? Thanks

Nugatory said:
In that case, all you've done is construct an elaborate water heater. You're going to have to cool the water somehow, perhaps with something similar to an automobile radiator.

I tried adding Ice cubes in the water container but it also did not work, the chamber temperature did not decrease...Am I doing it right? Thanks

I suggest you measure the temperature of the water when the temp. of the box stabilizes before we go further.

As I see it now, you may have two problems.

1. Poor thermal contact or otherwise deficient heat transfer from the box to the water.

2. Insufficient cooling of circulating water.

Likes 1 person
Ok...thnx...I'll go back to this in a while. I would just want to ask. If I use a PC radiator (the one used in PC cooling) will this be a better solution. Thanks

PC radiators are designed to be able to dump a lot more heat than your setup generates, so one should be able to do the job in principle, ON THE CONDITION that it must be thermally well coupled to the box. You may have seen that when they need to cool CPUs and GPUs, they essentially glue the chip to a radiator (or heat exchanger) with thermally conductive paste; that is an example of good thermal coupling.

Ok thanks...

Consider the heat path from source to room air. It sounds like it goes...

Sensors etc
Air gap
Walls of container
Cooling pipe
Cooling water
Heat radiator?
Room air

In which case the problem might be the air in the box. It might help to mount the heat sources on the inside walls of the box or stir the air in the box using a small fan.

It sounds like your water cooling coil is outside the volume you want to regulate the temperature of? If so, it's probably not going to do much for cooling the inside temperature, especially with the (relatively) small watts of heat transfer you're talking about. What kind of thermal stability do you need?

Just a suggestion, but if you're project is rich, I'd suggest Peltier coolers and heat pipes, and if not, perhaps a tub of ice water?

WhatIsGravity said:
It sounds like your water cooling coil is outside the volume you want to regulate the temperature of? If so, it's probably not going to do much for cooling the inside temperature, especially with the (relatively) small watts of heat transfer you're talking about.

Agreed. Depending on the thermal characteristics of the materials from which the box is made, this is likely to be a weak link in the exchange process. It might warrant building the box quite literally from finned heat sinks for a cheap solution increasing the surface area of transfer.

WhatIsGravity said:
Just a suggestion, but if you're project is rich, I'd suggest Peltier coolers and heat pipes, and if not, perhaps a tub of ice water?

I am very curious about your experience with Peltiers. In my experience Peltiers always have been something like Stirling Engines - look cool (pun kinda intended) on paper but in actual use, complicate every issue they deal with and perform poorly.

My only real experience with Peltier coolers is that they can result in negative efficiencies. About 20% efficient across a few mm of heat transfer... it's hard to dump that much heat.

You said you want the inside temperature to be below 30C. What is the outside temperature? The smaller the temperature difference, the harder it will be to get rid of the heat without a something that acts as a refrigerator, i.e. some part of the cooling system is below room temperature.

Computer components will usualy work fine at temperatures up to at least 45C. The 20C difference between 45C and a room temperature of say 25C is four times bigger than the 5C difference between 30C and 25C, so the same cooling system would get rid of at least four times as much heat.

Related to Creating an efficient cooling system

1. What is the purpose of a cooling system?

A cooling system is designed to remove excess heat from a particular area or object in order to maintain a desired temperature. This is important for preventing damage and ensuring efficient operation of various machines and systems.

2. What are the key components of a cooling system?

The key components of a cooling system include a coolant, a pump, a radiator, a thermostat, and a fan. The coolant is responsible for absorbing heat from the system, which is then circulated by the pump to the radiator where it is cooled before being recirculated back into the system. The thermostat helps to regulate the temperature, while the fan assists in dissipating the heat from the coolant.

3. How do you determine the appropriate size for a cooling system?

The size of a cooling system is determined by the amount of heat that needs to be removed in a given space or from a specific object. This can be calculated using the specific heat of the material, the amount of material, and the desired temperature change. It is also important to consider factors such as the ambient temperature and the efficiency of the cooling system itself.

4. What are some common problems with cooling systems?

Some common problems with cooling systems include leaks, clogs, and malfunctions of the components. Leaks can occur due to worn out hoses or connections, while clogs can be caused by debris or buildup within the system. Malfunctions can be caused by faulty components or improper maintenance.

5. How can you improve the efficiency of a cooling system?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a cooling system, such as using a more efficient coolant, ensuring proper maintenance and cleaning of the components, and optimizing the placement and design of the system. Additionally, using alternative energy sources or incorporating heat recovery systems can also help to improve overall efficiency.