Credit card Magnetic strip and the plastic bag trick

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Rolliet
Messages
18
Reaction score
1
When my credit card magnetic strip is worn it won't scan at the grocery check out. The clerk then uses a plastic bag over the card and runs it through the scanner. I'm baffled why this should work, but it does every time. Any explanations ?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a fault of your card rather than their scanner?
 
Yes, a problem when a card gets old. I'd think it happens to everyone.
 
The separation by the bag must be, effectively, a low pass filter - reducing noise and 'sidebands', due to the scratches (modulation of the basic stripe frequencies). It can't be more than that. I don't know why the scanner couldn't do this for itself, in a more efficient and adaptive way. Maybe the newer generation scanners work better. It would need a 2D array of sensors to do best.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
sophiecentaur said:
... I don't know why the scanner couldn't do this for itself, in a more efficient and adaptive way. ...

I think you would still come to the same situation, but with a card more scratched up, after a time.