Cricket World Cup: Will Bangladesh & Ireland Win?

• Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary: I feel sorry for your loss. I don't think the Pakistani team will ever be the same again without Woolmer. The Pakistani team is equally good as the Indian team, and may even have more talent. Too bad we can't combine both teams under "Pak-India" and beat everyone in the World...
And so does another third!

Physics news on Phys.org
Uthapa fails yet again; Vaas takes a good catch.

neutrino said:
Uthapa fails yet again; Vaas takes a good catch.

Saw it; I managed to find a live stream.

And there goes Tendulkar!

Only Dravid, Yuvraj and Dhoni left now. The way this is going, they're going to lose by more than 40 runs.

George Jones said:
Saw it; I managed to find a live stream.
Where??

There we go, Yuvraj and Dhoni falling one after another. If India is to win, an event virtually impossible from this position, a miracle is needed from Dravid and Aggy.

And there goes Agarkar. But, I have a never say die attitude when it comes to Indian cricket and don't intend to give up hope until the last wicket falls. :p

klusener said:
And there goes Agarkar. But, I have a never say die attitude when it comes to Indian cricket and don't intend to give up hope until the last wicket falls. :p

I think you can give up hope now - I did long ago. :frown:

India is not South Africa with Klusener (hey, your namesake). I remember Lance Klusener's immense performance in WCs past - he could single handedly rescue an innings with devil-may-care powershots. All India has are inconsistent batsmen and half-hearted fielders.

Today's match between Australia and South Africa is the best of the first stage of matches. And I'm really glad two "minnows" made it to the Super-8 stage. We can watch some great cricket at last.

neutrino said:
Today's match between Australia and South Africa is the best of the first stage of matches. And I'm really glad two "minnows" made it to the Super-8 stage. We can watch some great cricket at last.

Awesome batting by both teams. No wonder they're the best in the world. It's like a twenty20 match, but for 50 overs.

Gokul43201 said:
Where??

I've seen all the matches so far via live streams. I use sopcast. Try it, its good quality.

World Cup should be called off in tribyute to Bob Woolmer

The Super 8 matches starts soon. Now it should be more exciting.

:biggrin:

It's pretty tough how the score between the 2 teams qualifying goes through to the super 8's...

(...well if you're SA, Ireland, Bangladesh or England :frown: :wink: )

I'm surprised nobody who posted in here made any comment about Malinga's excellent four in four balls. For those who missed it here is the event on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurdt said:
I'm surprised nobody who posted in here made any comment about Malinga's excellent four in four balls. For those who missed it here is the event on youtube.

That was one highlight of this world cup, along with this 6 sixes in an over, both of which I never saw live (In fact, I've not yet seen the sixes.). Yet SA managed to win the match.

Did Malinga achieve this in two different overs? Because the third wicket was Kallis and he was out for 86. Or did the batsmen cross during the second wicket?

He achieved in 2 overs. It was quite cool though. I'm happy that england are still in!

I want to add that my friend who's Indian cried when India were shot out! Some people take it very seriously!

blackcat said:
He achieved in 2 overs. It was quite cool though. I'm happy that england are still in!
Umm...I'm no longer fascinated by Malinga's feat now. It's still an achievement but not as great as it would've been if he had done it a single over. The best WC hat-trick in my book would be from the 2003 match bet. SL and Bangladesh. Vaas (another Sri-Lankan) picking up 3 from the first three balls of the match!

I want to add that my friend who's Indian cried when India were shot out! Some people take it very seriously!
There are many people who go to all possible extremes. Some cry, some shout and curse, while others pelt stones at the players' houses. Of course, you can't forget the all-time favourite, effigy-burning. :rolleyes:

Well he can't really help it that he got the hat trick on the last ball of an over so I think it's still quite impressive.

And I remember Vaas' hat trick against Bangladesh! That was cool to watch. Wow that was a long time ago. Time passes so quickly :(

I think effigy-burning is quite humourous really... I really want to know what they achieve by that! At least they're releasing their anger in a non-violent fashion.

neutrino said:
That was one highlight of this world cup, along with this 6 sixes in an over, both of which I never saw live (In fact, I've not yet seen the sixes.). Yet SA managed to win the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9OyikoK-dI"

The Tigers pull off another upset against South Africa. This is the second time they've beaten the top-ranked team. Now, only if they could get into the semi-finals.

klusener said:
The Tigers pull off another upset against South Africa. This is the second time they've beaten the top-ranked team. Now, only if they could get into the semi-finals.
Second time?...Oh, okay. But the first time they've beaten a top-ranked team, who have managed to remain top-ranked. :biggrin:

But Kudos to the Bangladeshis. I didn't watch the match, but learned the results from cricinfo later. The report said that the second-half pitch resembled a sub-continent spin-friendly one. But even to take advantage of that against a strong team requires some talent.

Is anyone still following this thing? :biggrin:

FINALLY, after two extremely boring semi-final matches, a final has been set between Australia and Sri Lanka - a repeat of the 1996 final. But Australia is MUCH stronger this time.

I hope so much Sri Lanka wins.. I am SSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO sick of Australia's dominance. And yeah as long as Champions League footy isn't on, I am watching :biggrin: Was playing cricket tonight actually (20:20)

The finals should hopefully be better than the aussies vs sa semi.

I think the rain has finally stopped. Should begin soon. Go Sri Lanka! After manu's amazing second half, anything is possible :biggrin:

Still raining.

The smaller the number of overs in the match, the more it favours Australia.

I soooooooooooooo much want Sri Lanka to win.

George Jones said:
The smaller the number of overs in the match, the more it favours Australia.

True. Although, if jayasuriya gets going, they may have an advantage.

I soooooooooooooo much want Sri Lanka to win.

Me too, but those Australians look unbeatable. 98-0 in 16 overs

EDIT: Make that 104-0 in 16.1 :frown:

EDIT2 : Yeesh, that's 108-0 in 16.2

Last edited:
Why do they even bother playing the final?

Wow. It's just a massacre now. It's like baseball. Stand and hit it all over the place. Gilchrist is playing an amazing innings.

The Australians are completely dominant. They've got to be the greatest cricket team of all time.

Are we going to see 300 scored in less than 40 overs for the first time?

Edit: Or the second time? I don't know the details of that 800+ runs match between Aus and SA.

siddharth said:
They've got to be the greatest cricket team of all time.

Duh! :rolleyes:

They would probably be up there with Windies team from a few decades ago.

Last edited:
Great catch from the captain! And there goes Hayden, who has been the dynamic half of the openers till now.

My god, Sri Lanka is being slaughtered out there. I hope this batting carnage sets up a thrilling chase though.

neutrino said:
Are we going to see 300 scored in less than 40 overs for the first time?

The way this is going, I think it's highly probable.

Could Gilchrist hit 200?

No. Jinxed him. Twas a fantastic innings.

Last edited: