Selecting a Crimp Tool for 24 Gauge Wire & Bullet Connector

• Thread starter shawnz1102
  • Start date
In summary, using a pair of small needlenosed pliers and folding one side then the other will work, but it is time consuming and easier to mess up. If you only have a basic crimping/stripping tool, you can try ViseGrips first and then solder the connection.
shawnz1102
Hello,

I have a 24 gauge wire that needs to be crimped onto a bullet connector and selecting the right crimp tool is actually a lot harder than I thought. I thought it was just simply selecting a crimp tool that fits the gauge requirement and voila, but there's actually crimp tools for different types of terminals, etc...

Here's the bullet connector I'm trying to crimp bare wire onto:
[PLAIN]http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8310/img01561.jpg

And here's the parts I want to crimp:
http://www.basicxandrobotics.com/tutorials/end%20pins/wire%20inserted%20arrows.jpgBasically, my selection of tools comes down to all the items inside these two catalogs.
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/99443.pdf
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/308030.pdf

Can anyone please tell me if any of the products I've listed will work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The second or third GC/Waldom crimper (on the second link) should work reasonably well, as well as the stand-alone set (this might be better since it's a fusion of the two above!) If you haven't used one of these before, position the crimp so that the vertical 'wings' get pressed down by the side of the tool that has the double curve in it. Make sure you press hard (you may need to re-straighten the crimp) so keep in mind it's fairly hard (but not completely impossible) to destroy the crimp or shear the wire during crimping.

Good luck!

Personally, I use a pair of small needlenosed pliers and fold one side then the other, but this is time consuming and easier to mess up. I need the connections to be small, though, so a mechanical crimper (that puts the two sides together, not on top of one another) won't cut it for me. I then solder the connection

Wetmelon said:
Personally, I use a pair of small needlenosed pliers and fold one side then the other, but this is time consuming and easier to mess up. I need the connections to be small, though, so a mechanical crimper (that puts the two sides together, not on top of one another) won't cut it for me. I then solder the connection
If I just [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had a few terminations to make, I would do it this way also.

Last edited:
I have only a basic (but decent quality) crimping/stripping tool. Before I bought it, I just mashed the thing with ViseGrips and then soldered it to make sure that it held. :redface:

1. What is the best type of crimp tool for 24 gauge wire and bullet connectors?

The best type of crimp tool for 24 gauge wire and bullet connectors is a ratcheting crimp tool. This type of tool ensures a secure and consistent crimp every time, which is crucial for maintaining a reliable electrical connection.

2. Is it necessary to use a crimp tool specifically designed for 24 gauge wire and bullet connectors?

Yes, it is highly recommended to use a crimp tool that is specifically designed for 24 gauge wire and bullet connectors. Using the wrong size tool can result in a weak or unreliable crimp, which can lead to electrical issues and potential safety hazards.

3. Are there any specific features to look for in a crimp tool for 24 gauge wire and bullet connectors?

When selecting a crimp tool for 24 gauge wire and bullet connectors, look for a tool with a ratcheting mechanism, adjustable crimp force, and interchangeable die sets. These features will ensure a secure and consistent crimp for your specific wire and connector size.

4. Can I use a cheaper, generic crimp tool instead of investing in a specialized one?

It is not recommended to use a cheaper, generic crimp tool for 24 gauge wire and bullet connectors. These tools may not have the necessary features and precision required for a reliable crimp, and can ultimately result in faulty electrical connections and potential safety hazards.

5. How do I know if I have crimped the wire and bullet connector correctly?

After crimping, check the connection by gently pulling on the wire and connector. If they do not separate easily, and there are no visible gaps or loose sections, then the crimp was successful. It is also recommended to use a multimeter to test the electrical continuity of the connection.