1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical points of differential equation

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the location and type of all critical points of the given equations and sketch the phase portrait

y"+cosy=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done some like this before but they were all systems of equations. I'm actually not sure how to do the simpler version >_< I think this is asking for maxima and minima? is that right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's NOT simpler. This is only one equation but is second order. What you want is two first order equations. Define x by x= y'. Then y''= x' so y''+ y= 0 becomes x'+ y= 0 or x'= -y.

You now have the two equations x'= -y and y'= x.

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3
    Okay, so for my problem I have
    x=y'
    x'=y"
    so I substitute and
    x'+cosy=0
    x'=-cosy

so my system of equations is;

y'=x
    x'=-cosy

right? Then I just solve like it's a system of equations and look for the singularities as the critical points?

5. Jul 10, 2012 #4
    Ah! No wait, there's more! I know what I'm doing now, silly me. I set x' and y' to zero and solve for the points.

x'=0, ∴x=0
    y'=0, -cosy=0, ∴y=(1/2)(2n+1)pi

So I have infinite points along the y-axis. I used

http://www.math.rutgers.edu/courses/ODE/sherod/phase-local.html [Broken]

to graph the phase portrait and found that every other critical point is a saddle point, then a center point.

SO! how do I say that one is a saddle, then the next is a center?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook