Is this question missing a third time interval?

In summary, the study guide is correct and the line I need to sketch I would assume *should* look like a wave (given 2 critical points and 3 time intervals), and not at all like a parabola, which would have 1 critical point and 2 time intervals.
cptstubing

Homework Statement

Given critical points (3,-4) and (6,0); interval of increase (3, infinity); interval of decrease (-infinity, 3), find the local maxima/minima and sketch the graph.

Homework Equations

No relevant equations are given, I believe it's a simple sketch the graph.

The Attempt at a Solution

In every example so far in the study guide I'm using, if there is one critical point, there are two time intervals.
If there are two critical points, there are three time intervals.

In this question, I believe there should be a curve that decreases to (3, -4), and the a curve that increases from the previous point to (6,0), and then another curve that decreases after that. But no such time interval is given.

Is the question missing a time interval, or is there some way to do this?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

Given critical points (3,-4) and (6,0); interval of increase (3, infinity); interval of decrease (-infinity, 3), find the local maxima/minima and sketch the graph.

Homework Equations

In every example so far in the study guide I'm using, if there is one critical point, there are two time intervals.

In this question, I believe there should be a curve that decreases to (3, -4), and the a curve that increases from the previous point to (6,0), and then another curve that decreases after that. But no such time interval is given.

Is the question missing a time interval, or is there some way to do this?

Many thanks
What do the critical points signify? In other words, what is it that makes a critical point critical?

Min and max.
It's where f(x) or y starts to either increase or decrease.

cptstubing said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

In this question, I believe there should be a curve that decreases to (3, -4), and the a curve that increases from the previous point to (6,0), and then another curve that decreases after that.

But you are given that it is increasing for ##t > 6##. What does that tell you about ##(6,0)##?

cptstubing said:
Min and max.
Is that fundamentally what they are - or is that just one possible characteristic?

I ask because I suspect that they are simply the points at which the tangent line has slope of zero. -- Often there will be a min or max in that situation.

(Is this pre-calculus or is it Calculus?)

That's what I understand the question to say as well. It appears to be a parabola, but then the point (6,0) isn't a critical point, it's just a point along a line.

It will help for you to use the "Reply" feature.

SammyS said:
Is that fundamentally what they are - or is that just one possible characteristic?

I ask because I suspect that they are simply the points at which the tangent line has slope of zero. -- Often there will be a min or max in that situation.

(Is this pre-calculus or is it Calculus?)

Yes that is true as well, more true than what I said. Slope = zero at these critical points.

SammyS said:
It will help for you to use the "Reply" feature.

I'm not following this and it is still unclear to me.
So the study guide is correct would you say? It has been incorrect already, and this is why I'm asking.
The line I need to sketch I would assume *should* look like a wave (given 2 critical points and 3 time intervals), and not at all like a parabola, which would have 1 critical point and 2 time intervals.

You can have a critical point without the point being a local minimum or local maximum. The fact that the tangent line has a slope of zero doesn't guarantee either a maximum or minimum. For example, the graph of y = x3 has a critical point at (0, 0), but it has neither a maximum or minimum. What you do have here is an inflection point, as the concavity is changing from concave down for x < 0 to concave up for x > 0.

Also, you have referred to "time intervals," which is somewhat confusing, as I don't see that anything here relates to time. As far as I can tell, they are just intervals on which the function is increasing or decreasing.

This thread is "calculus-y" enough that I am moving it out of the precalc section.

if (6,0) is a critical point, however this is located in the interval of increase (3, infinity) of the function; but in a critical point can be only a local maximum o a minimum about the definition?

Mark44 said:
You can have a critical point without the point being a local minimum or local maximum. The fact that the tangent line has a slope of zero doesn't guarantee either a maximum or minimum. For example, the graph of y = x3 has a critical point at (0, 0), but it has neither a maximum or minimum. What you do have here is an inflection point, as the concavity is changing from concave down for x < 0 to concave up for x > 0.

Also, you have referred to "time intervals," which is somewhat confusing, as I don't see that anything here relates to time. As far as I can tell, they are just intervals on which the function is increasing or decreasing.

This thread is "calculus-y" enough that I am moving it out of the precalc section.

I follow now. My mind is biased toward earlier study guide questions.
If I had an equation for this I'd have gotten it.

The next question in the book is one I'm used to seeing (2 critical points, 3 intervals)

Many thanks!

Pierce610 said:
if (6,0) is a critical point, however this is located in the interval of increase (3, infinity) of the function; but in a critical point can be only a local maximum o a minimum about the definition?
A critical point is not necessarily associated with a max or min, which is what I said in post #10. I'm not sure if you are commenting or asking a question here.

SammyS said:
What do the critical points signify? In other words, what is it that makes a critical point critical?

cptstubing said:
Min and max.

cptstubing said:
That's what I understand the question to say as well. It appears to be a parabola, but then the point (6,0) isn't a critical point, it's just a point along a line.

You are misunderstanding what a critical point is. Usually it is a point where ##f'(x)=0## meaning the curve has a horizontal tangent line. At such a point on a graph the curve may have:
1. A relative maximum
2. A relative minimum
3. What is the third possibility? This is what you are overlooking and need to know for your graph.

cptstubing said:
Yes that is true as well, more true than what I said. Slope = zero at these critical points.
Good.

By the way, the slope of the tangent line can be zero at a point without it being a min or max. Consider the graph of f(x) = (x-1)3 +2. The slope is zero at the point (1,2) , but that's neither a min nor a max.

SammyS said:
Good.

By the way, the slope of the tangent line can be zero at a point without it being a min or max. Consider the graph of f(x) = (x-1)3 +2. The slope is zero at the point (1,2) , but that's neither a min nor a max.

THanks, Sammy!

LCKurtz said:
You are misunderstanding what a critical point is. Usually it is a point where ##f'(x)=0## meaning the curve has a horizontal tangent line. At such a point on a graph the curve may have:
1. A relative maximum
2. A relative minimum
3. What is the third possibility? This is what you are overlooking and need to know for your graph.

Got it!
Thanks!

1. What is a third time interval?

A third time interval is a period of time that occurs between two known time intervals. It is often used to measure the duration of an event or occurrence that falls between two specific times.

2. Why is it important to consider a third time interval?

Considering a third time interval can provide a more accurate measurement of time and give a better understanding of the duration of an event. It can also help to prevent confusion or misinterpretation of time-sensitive data.

3. How do you determine the third time interval?

The third time interval can be determined by subtracting the end time of the first interval from the start time of the second interval. This will give the duration of the third interval.

4. Can there be more than one third time interval?

Yes, there can be multiple third time intervals depending on the number of time intervals given. For example, if there are three time intervals, there will be two third time intervals.

5. Are there any limitations to using a third time interval?

One limitation of using a third time interval is that it assumes a linear progression of time. It may not accurately measure the duration of an event if there are breaks or interruptions in the timeline. Additionally, the accuracy of the third time interval may depend on the precision of the given start and end times.