Critically Stable - Control Theory

In summary, the conversation is about someone preparing for a control theory exam and struggling to understand how to determine when a third order system is critically stable. They are unsure if it is based on the value of an adjustable parameter or the location of the poles on the negative real axis. Another person suggests asking for the denominator of the transfer function and points out that the number of terms can affect the analysis. They also mention a possible format for the transfer function that would make the analysis clearer. There is also a question about the definition of critically stable and how it relates to eigenvalues.
Delber
I am preparing for my control theory exam, but I have come across that I am struggling. I have a third order system and its asking to me determine when a value of an adjustable parameter, K for when the system is critically stable.

I just don't know what this corresponds two for a third order system. I know for a second order system it is when the dampening ratio is equal to one. Do I need to just find the value of K that places all the poles on the negative real axis?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you post the denominator of this transfer function? The number of terms in the Tx function can make a huge difference in the analysis. I almost suspect the function is of the form

[tex] s^3+s^2+s[/tex]

which in that case you can factor out an s and all will be clear.

Can you define critically stable? is it associated with eigenvalue? when can i say the stability becomes crytically stable? i hope someone can help me to explain it, Thank You :)

1. What is "Critically Stable" in control theory?

Critically Stable is a concept in control theory that refers to a system being stable at the edge of instability. This means that the system is able to maintain a steady state or equilibrium even when it is pushed towards its limits.

2. What is the difference between "Critically Stable" and "Asymptotically Stable"?

Asymptotically Stable refers to a system that eventually returns to its equilibrium state after being disturbed, whereas Critically Stable systems are able to maintain their equilibrium state even when pushed towards instability.

3. How is "Critically Stable" determined in control theory?

"Critically Stable" is determined through stability analysis, which involves examining the system's transfer function and analyzing its poles and zeros. A system is considered critically stable if it has a pole located on the imaginary axis.

4. What are some examples of "Critically Stable" systems?

Some common examples of Critically Stable systems include pendulums, inverted pendulums, and ball and beam systems. These systems are able to maintain their equilibrium state even when they are pushed towards instability.

5. How is "Critically Stable" utilized in real-world applications?

Critically Stable systems are commonly used in control systems for various applications such as robotics, aerospace, and industrial processes. They are also used in designing feedback controllers to ensure stability and performance in these systems.