1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the range of a controller for a stable system

1. May 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The controller K(s) = Kp, determine the range of Kp over which the closed loop system is stable.

2. Relevant equations
    I found the transfer function of system = Y(s)/V(s)=Kp/(1.5s^2 + 2.5s - 1 + Kp)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So i know (1.5s^2 + 2.5s - 1 + Kp) is the characteristic equation is been a while since ive done these i think i remember that all roots of the polynomial for a stable system must be negative real parts and i know its probably obvious but i just cant remember how to find the range of Kp. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Solve for the roots of the denominator. It's only second order, so you can use a formula.

4. May 5, 2017 #3
    yeah it's just the Kp being part of the denominator that's throwing me a bit, how do I include that in the quadratic formula

5. May 5, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Um, by including it in the quadratic formula? Treat Kp as a constant and write out the formula. Then see how the value of Kp affects the roots. What range of values for Kp will satisfy your requirements? Be discriminating :smile:

6. May 5, 2017 #5

LvW

As far as I can see IT IS included in the formula (see your own post).

7. May 5, 2017 #6
    Yeah I got it now, cheers guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted