1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross product by epsilon ijk method

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to calculate Ax(BxC) -A, B, C are vectors, apart from bac-cab rule, I need to get it by epsilon ijk -Following I will note it by e(ijk).

2. Relevant equations
    I expect answerer to know kronecker delta equation and vector multiplications.

3. The attempt at a solution

e(ijk)*A(i)*(B*C)(j)
    = e(ijk)*A(i)

(BxC)(j) = e(mjn)B(n)C(m)

After that part I'm stuck. As you can see below, I rotate the ijk's and mjn's to match j's at the end, but I fail.

e(ijk)*A(k)*e(mjn)*B(n)*C(m)

Can you help me after that?
    Lettters in parantheses (i, j, k, m, n) are supposed to indicate the indices.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    I know Wikipedia, but if someone would bother to actually solve the question, I will be glad.

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm afraid that's not how things work around here-- if you come here asking a question you should be prepared to put in the work to find the solution. Homework helpers are here to help guide you to a solution.

So, can you apply some of the relations on the page vela showed you to your problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook