Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Cross product by epsilon ijk method

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to calculate Ax(BxC) -A, B, C are vectors, apart from bac-cab rule, I need to get it by epsilon ijk -Following I will note it by e(ijk).

2. Relevant equations
    I expect answerer to know kronecker delta equation and vector multiplications.

3. The attempt at a solution

e(ijk)*A(i)*(B*C)(j)
    = e(ijk)*A(i)

(BxC)(j) = e(mjn)B(n)C(m)

After that part I'm stuck. As you can see below, I rotate the ijk's and mjn's to match j's at the end, but I fail.

e(ijk)*A(k)*e(mjn)*B(n)*C(m)

Can you help me after that?
    Lettters in parantheses (i, j, k, m, n) are supposed to indicate the indices.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    I know Wikipedia, but if someone would bother to actually solve the question, I will be glad.

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm afraid that's not how things work around here-- if you come here asking a question you should be prepared to put in the work to find the solution. Homework helpers are here to help guide you to a solution.

So, can you apply some of the relations on the page vela showed you to your problem?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook