Cross Product Continuity: Showing Definition is Satisfied

• Thread starter symbol0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation is about trying to show that the cross product is a continuous function. The speaker is having trouble finding a delta that would lead to the conclusion, and is asked to show what they have tried. They mention using the definition of continuity and relating |x-y| to the cross product formula, but ultimately figure it out.
symbol0
1. Show that the cross product is a continuous function

I have tried to apply the definition of continuity: find a delta such that
|x-y|< delta implies |f(x)-f(y)|< epsilon
but I'm having trouble finding a delta that would take me to the conclusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should show us what you've tried. What is |f(x)-f(y)| in this case?

In this case, |f(x)-f(y)| is a real number (the length of a vector in R^3).
A better question is what is |x-y|. x is one pair of vectors in R^3 and y is another pair of vectors in R^3. Then what is |x-y|?
I have tried relating |x-y| to the fact that |a x b|=|a||b|sin(theta) but can't get anything that seems to be on the right direction.

I figured it out.

Related to Cross Product Continuity: Showing Definition is Satisfied

What is cross product continuity?

Cross product continuity is the property that describes the ability to smoothly transition between different vector fields in a three-dimensional space. It ensures that the definition of a vector field remains consistent when moving from one coordinate system to another.

Why is it important to show that the definition of cross product continuity is satisfied?

Demonstrating that the definition of cross product continuity is satisfied is crucial in validating the accuracy and consistency of mathematical models and simulations. It ensures that the results obtained are reliable and can be applied in real-world situations.

How is cross product continuity typically shown to be satisfied?

Cross product continuity is usually proven using mathematical proofs and equations. This involves showing that the limit of the cross product of two vector fields is equal to the cross product of the limits of the individual vector fields.

What are the implications of not satisfying the definition of cross product continuity?

If the definition of cross product continuity is not satisfied, it can lead to errors and inaccuracies in mathematical models and simulations. This can result in incorrect predictions and unreliable data, which can have serious consequences in fields such as engineering and physics.

Are there any real-world applications of cross product continuity?

Yes, cross product continuity is essential in various fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics. It is used to accurately model and analyze complex systems and phenomena, such as airflow around an airplane wing or the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.