Is there a connection between EPR and crossing symmetry in Feynman diagrams?

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of the EPR experiment using Feynman diagrams and crossing symmetry. Two interpretations of the same diagram are presented, one involving a neutral particle colliding with an electron and the other involving the decay of the neutral particle into an electron-positron pair. The discussion then explores the implications of spin measurements at different points in the diagram for both interpretations. The conversation concludes by questioning whether the two processes should be seen as equally mysterious or if there is a non-mysterious explanation for the second process. The speaker also asks for any papers that relate EPR to crossing symmetry.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
This is sort of a nebulous question, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of analysis of the EPR experiment from the point of view of crossing symmetry for Feynman diagrams?
crossing.jpg

In the above diagram, I've drawn a very simple particle interaction diagram. The same diagram can be interpreted in two different ways, and the corresponding amplitudes are related in some analytic way that I'm not going to get into the details of. The two different ways are:

1. A neutral, massive, spin-zero particle, [itex]X^0[/itex] (not supposed to be any specific particle, but maybe you can think of it as a neutral pion) collides with an electron, and is absorbed, deflecting the electron.
  2. The [itex]X^0[/itex] particle decays into an electron/positron pair.
These are, from the point of view of quantum field theory, very similar processes, which is why they have very similar Feynman diagrams. But now, I'd like to analyze these from the point of spin measurements at points [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] in the diagram.

In the first interpretation, we measure the spin of the electron at point [itex]A[/itex], along some axis, [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] and find in say spin-up in that direction. Later, at point [itex]B[/itex], we measure the spin along a second axis, [itex]\vec{B}[/itex]. Assuming that the original [itex]e^{-1}, X^0[/itex] system had orbital angular momentum zero (I'm not sure how you might insure that this is true...which might be a weakness of my argument, such as it is), then we can use conservation of total angular momentum to conclude that the electron's spin doesn't change between points [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. So the probability of measuring spin-up at [itex]B[/itex] is given by the probability of measuring spin-up along [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] given an electron that was prepared to be spin-up along [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]. That's given by: [itex]P = \frac{1}{2} (1 + \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})[/itex] (I think).

So there's no mystery here. It has a perfectly intuitive "hidden variable" explanation: After the measurement at [itex]A[/itex], the electron is in an eigenstate of [itex]\sigma_{\vec{A}}[/itex], and it stays in that eigenstate until point [itex]B[/itex]. The measurement at [itex]B[/itex] gives a probabilistic outcome, but it's a local nondeterministic decision.

Now, look at the same thing from the point of view of the second interpretation:

Here, an [itex]X^0[/itex] particle decays into an electron/positron pair in a state with total angular momentum zero. In this interpretation, measurements [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are simultaneous (or more generally, at a spacelike separation). But if the measurement of spin at [itex]A[/itex] along axis [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] yields spin-up, then the probability of getting spin-up along [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] at point [itex]B[/itex] is given by:

[itex]P = \frac{1}{2} (1 - \vec{A} \cdot \vec{B})[/itex]

which is almost exactly the same (except for the minus sign, which I think is just due to the twisting of the diagram to go from the first interpretation to the second).

The second interpretation leads to the usual spin-1/2 EPR mysteries. The first interpretation is completely non-mysterious. But quantum mechanically, they are described by almost exactly the same mathematics.

I don't really have a coherent question to ask about this, but the similarity of the two processes makes me feel that their explanations should be similar, as well. So either there should be a nonmysterious explanation for the second process, or we should be able to see both of them as equally mysterious.

Any thoughts, or pointers to papers relating EPR to crossing symmetry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice. But why do you feel one process is more mysterious than the other?

1. What is Crossing Symmetry?

Crossing Symmetry is a principle in theoretical physics that states that the scattering amplitudes of two theories related by a symmetry transformation should be equal. In other words, if two theories are related by a symmetry, their predictions for the scattering of particles should also be related.

2. What is EPR?

EPR (Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen) is a thought experiment proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935 to challenge the completeness of quantum mechanics. It involves two entangled particles that exhibit non-local correlations, meaning their properties are connected even when separated by large distances.

3. How are Crossing Symmetry and EPR related?

Crossing Symmetry and EPR are related in the sense that both involve the concept of symmetry in theoretical physics. EPR challenges the completeness of quantum mechanics by highlighting the non-local correlations between entangled particles, while Crossing Symmetry uses the principle of symmetry to make predictions about the scattering of particles in different physical theories.

4. What is the significance of Crossing Symmetry and EPR in modern physics?

Crossing Symmetry and EPR are both important concepts in modern physics as they shed light on the fundamental principles and limitations of our current understanding of the universe. They have also played a crucial role in the development of theories such as quantum field theory and quantum entanglement.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Crossing Symmetry and EPR?

While the concepts of Crossing Symmetry and EPR are primarily studied in theoretical physics, there have been attempts to apply these ideas to real-world phenomena. For example, EPR has been used in quantum cryptography for secure communication, and Crossing Symmetry has been applied to high-energy particle collisions in experiments like the Large Hadron Collider.