Cultural influences and faux pas.

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, the difference between cultures is that in the US, it is considered rude to make fun of someone, even if they are being pompous or egotistical, while in other countries it is seen as a way to have fun and get along. Some cultures are more offended by being mocked than others. The most easy to get along with country is probably the US, as people are generally tolerant of others' differences.

Who are the most layed back? Easy to get on with?

• Americans(US)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Canadians

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Dutch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aussies

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • English

• Irish

• Jamaicans

• Yeah right I hate everyone equally.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other: please explain

• If you think I'm answering that your sorely mistaken...

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Schrodinger's Dog
OK I've had a bit of a culture shock recently, in England it's considered the done thing to generally either mock yourself or mock people in general, mainly in a light hearted and playful way, usually it's reciprocated with some reposte or some banter, and particularly it's aimed at someone who is being a little pompous or egotistical, although this doesn't seem to go down well elsewhere in the world.

Just a question... Why is that, do you think? For Example the French have the same or a very similar culture of sarcasm, which is probably why the US has an aversion to the French, claiming them to be arrogant and pompous ironically enough, where as when I talk to the French, in my half broken Francais they always seem to be really amenable and have a great sense of humour.

Do you think the differences of opinion of countries are because of culture as well as politics, or is it just politics?

Personally I find some Americans - although not so much on this forum - a bit conceited and arrogant, free with their opinion and not open to joking about themselves? But this is obviously a cultural difference so you tend to overlook it.

Anyway what do you think about certain cultures you meet on line, do you have a stereotypical view or do you take each person as they come, bearing in mind their cultural traits?

Are there any cultures you really can't stand, such as chavs or red necks or Metalheads , or punks or Belgians or Aussies or Angolans, or whatever: doesn't have to be from another country, what annoys you about x? Or what do you like about y?

Lastly which is the most easy to get along with country?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you'd find many differences in humor or sarcasm across cultures. People are people. I think the differences that come about are usually language barriers or missing subtelties of tone of voice due to accent variations. So, someone says a joke, but you think they're serious, because they haven't quite perfected the accent sufficiently to put the emphasis on the right words to make it sound like the joke it is. The same is an issue online. Someone says a joke, but you don't know where to read the inflection in the sentence (often due to lack of adequate grammar to find the emphasis), and take them seriously, and the flame war follows (worse when one person doesn't realize they're in a flame war and thinks they're just trading jibs with another who is equally enjoying it).

I don't think I can have a serious conversation with my friends without some serious sarcasm and insults being thrown around. If my friends didn't call me "short bus" or make fun of my mom at least once every ten minutes, I'd be worried something is wrong. We usually have the most fun when trying to top each others' put downs. My wife does not understand this at all.

Moonbear said:
I don't think you'd find many differences in humor or sarcasm across cultures. People are people. I think the differences that come about are usually language barriers or missing subtelties of tone of voice due to accent variations. So, someone says a joke, but you think they're serious, because they haven't quite perfected the accent sufficiently to put the emphasis on the right words to make it sound like the joke it is. The same is an issue online. Someone says a joke, but you don't know where to read the inflection in the sentence (often due to lack of adequate grammar to find the emphasis), and take them seriously, and the flame war follows (worse when one person doesn't realize they're in a flame war and thinks they're just trading jibs with another who is equally enjoying it).

Yes but there are definitely some differences I've noticed, for example if I say George Bush is a nutbar, US citizens generally are more likely to find this offensive, particularly Republicans or Bush supporters, there's a suggestion that taking the mickey out of an American President is off limits, whether Bush is a nutbar or not seems to be beside the point - he is a nutbar though :smile: - over in the UK if you didn't rip the hell out of MP's and particularly PM's, people would think you odd, in fact our entire newspaper media is founded on mocking King and Parliament, it's a tradition as old as the printing press.

And some people just don't like being poked fun at, even if they are being a bit of an asshat, they find it deeply offensive, and I find this more often happens with Americans, maybe because the sarcasm is different or they think your deliberately trying to offend them? It's obviously not a language barrier and I seldom have this difficulty when talking on line to an English native, so I have come to the conclusion that there are some definite differences in humour and culture, or that I am just paranoid, one of the two :biggrin:

Aussies for example are generally ruthlessly sarcastic, and they will rip you a new one given half the chance, but they'll do it in such away as to have you rolling around in hysterics. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
where as when I talk to the French, in my half broken Francais they always seem to be really amenable and have a great sense of humour.
:uhh:
I thoughts english and french people were best enemies
Did you forget the Hundred Years' War :confused:
infamous irish writer said:
A man can't be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
:wink:
Do you think the differences of opinion of countries are because of culture as well as politics, or is it just politics?
I am quite convinced that cultural differences can make huge gaps. It is definitely clear that I don't get japaneese humor. But more important than whether's one's culture is Canadian or russian (say, where the person grew up), is whether the person's has culture at all. :redface: I mean, it very interesting to meet someone with a lot of culture, be him indian of even... belgian :biggrin:

Did you see last weeks Top Gear, when they drove through Alabama...

Strange people.

...but let me throw in some of my views/stereotypes:

Americans(US) - "what?!? there are other countries?!?"
Canadians - don't meet much of these. when you do they have Canadian flags stuck to their backpacks - like their trip to europe is sponsered by their government.
Dutch - straight talking; only say stuff which is important; I wouldn't live anywhere else at the moment.
Aussies - don't invite an aussie to stay with you. they have this system where if you invite one, by default the whole country's allowed to sleep on your floor.
English - i wouldn't want to slate my homeland too much, so i'll stop there... :)
Irish - look angry, seem to think they're hard done by.
Jamaicans - don't people shoot you in jamacia?

Last edited:
J77 said:

Strange people.

No and it got pulled from Youtube if it's the one in the Youtube classics thread :frown:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
No and it got pulled from Youtube if it's the one in the Youtube classics thread :frown:

Yeah that was the video I put up. Twas hilarious.

EDIT: there is another one on youtube if you search for it.

Last edited:
LMAO Funny clip. Even as an American, I would avoid Alabama, hell I would try to avoid the entire south. The US has plenty of distinct groups of people, so saying you get along with all Americans would be difficult to do. Also, I really don't know anyone English, Canadian, Australian, etc, so I can't say how I get along with them.

mattmns said:
LMAO Funny clip. Even as an American, I would avoid Alabama, hell I would try to avoid the entire south. The US has plenty of distinct groups of people, so saying you get along with all Americans would be difficult to do. Also, I really don't know anyone English, Canadian, Australian, etc, so I can't say how I get along with them.

I finally watched that Top Gear clip, :rofl: Jesus, are they the same people as the rest of the US? I've heard of red neck but that reminded me of deliverance :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
J77 said:

Strange people.
yes i did see that, and it was rather shocking

Schrodinger's Dog said:
I finally watched that Top Gear clip, :rofl: Jesus, are they the same people as the rest of the US? I've heard of red neck but that reminded me of deliverance :eek:

Man, this video sucks. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
What no votes for the English :grumpy: :mad: :devil: ?!

#storms off to get shotgun...#

I think all finish people I've met have been really layed back, so I'll go for them!

I picked Canadians, but they're the only nationality I've had a lot of contact with other than Americans. I think it has to do with environmental climate more than nationality, since there's a lot of variations among Americans, as well. I have trouble understanding people that have spent too much time on the beach.

Where are the French and Spanish?? :tongue:

J77 said:
Canadians - don't meet much of these. when you do they have Canadian flags stuck to their backpacks - like their trip to europe is sponsered by their government.

Something weird I found out a long time ago is that just because someone has a maple leaf on their pack doesn't mean they are Canadian. I had a teacher in high school a long time ago that traveled a lot, and he said that many times he would meet someone with a Canadian flag on their backback and they are Americans about 40% of the time.

It is popular advice here in the US. If you're going to go hiking, sightseeing, etc, in Europe, the natives will probably be nicer to you if they think you're Canadian, and not a US citizen. It started around the time of the Vietnam war IIR, and it may be good advice today, too.

Cant believe i am the only one to say Jamaican. Bar the yardy gangsters (even they are laid back) The Jamaica's take life in their stride, and are very laid back, probably a lot to do with the rasta lifestyle. I can understand Americans not seeing this, but for the uk people here...

Anttech said:
Cant believe i am the only one to say Jamaican.
I have nothing against Jamaican, I just don't know any ! Why would they hang around in Europe anyway ? :rolleyes:

I have unfortunately not met any jamaican fellow :cool:

Evo said:
Where are the French and Spanish?? :tongue:
Indeed ! :tongue2: :rofl:

And Italian ! And German ! ... :wink:

Reminds me of the "best physicist poll" :uhh:

humanino said:
Indeed ! :tongue2: :rofl:

And Italian ! And German ! ... :wink:

Reminds me of the "best physicist poll" :uhh:

Oh well sorry only ten options, I'd need 193 to cover em all:mad: :wink: :smile: :tongue2:

I think the most layed-back people in the world are surfers - they have the souls of poets. But they don't have their own country; in fact, many don't even have jobs.

humanino said:
I have nothing against Jamaican, I just don't know any ! Why would they hang around in Europe anyway ? :rolleyes:

I have unfortunately not met any jamaican fellow :cool:
mostly to do w/ historical reasons. Jamaica was a British dependent, best goddam music on the planet had its roots from that place :approve:

Anttech said:
mostly to do w/ historical reasons. Jamaica was a British dependent, best goddam music on the planet had its roots from that place :approve:

Ayre mon, reggae or ska?

Jamaicans are laid back, especially the Rastafariians, but I think that might be more to do with chemicals than just their culture, which is already so laid back they get up on Wednesday to do what they were going to do on Tuesday mmmffft what's the hurry mon?

Last edited:
I picked Americans, but by Americans I specifically mean Hawaiians.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Personally I find some Americans - although not so much on this forum - a bit conceited and arrogant, free with their opinion and not open to joking about themselves? But this is obviously a cultural difference so you tend to overlook it.
A lot of Americans (myself included) are just flat out tired of constantly having their country ragged on in various on-line forums. I, for one, can get extremely short with the perpetual lies, misperceptions, and outright bigotry that is constantly on display.

Ever wonder why I almost never bother to post (or read, for that matter) outside the photography-related topics much anymore? Every now and again someone will bring something to my attention, or I'll get exceptionally bored and browse around a bit. That exercise has rarely failed to shortly convince me there was good reason not to engage in it more regularly.

twisting_edge said:
A lot of Americans (myself included) are just flat out tired of constantly having their country ragged on in various on-line forums. I, for one, can get extremely short with the perpetual lies, misperceptions, and outright bigotry that is constantly on display.

Ever wonder why I almost never bother to post (or read, for that matter) outside the photography-related topics much anymore? Every now and again someone will bring something to my attention, or I'll get exceptionally bored and browse around a bit. That exercise has rarely failed to shortly convince me there was good reason not to engage in it more regularly.

I only ever mock your leaders, your people are for the most part without blame and in good faith great people, and those that mock the people for the idiocy of their masters, are not worthy of retort anyway.

Sadly though, you have voted in the worst of the worst, and that is your blame but that alone. I concede that point, but some aren't able to tell the difference between the masters and the slaves?:smile:

I personally believe that amongst the greatest nations on Earth is America, if only it would find wise leaders and not fools, it's nation is the best of Europe lead by the worst of Europe. And with the best of intentions, but the worst of methods.

Sorry I'm in quotes mode, I just put up a load, and I'm talking in soundbites :smile:

Last edited:
twisting_edge said:

You only have yourself to blame for that. You as in plural. American as a nation isn't well recieved, simply because of your nations actions. No doubt i will have an onslaught now of poster going for my jugular.

Anyway nobody ever said it was easy at the top, right?

1. What are some common cultural influences that can impact behavior and communication?

Some common cultural influences include societal norms, values, beliefs, traditions, and customs. These can vary greatly between different cultures and can impact how individuals interact with one another.

2. How can cultural influences lead to misunderstandings and faux pas?

Cultural influences can lead to misunderstandings and faux pas when individuals from different cultures have different expectations and interpretations of behavior and communication. This can result in unintentionally offending or disrespecting someone from a different culture.

3. How can one become more aware of cultural influences and avoid faux pas?

One can become more aware of cultural influences by educating themselves about different cultures and their customs and traditions. It is also important to be open-minded, respectful, and willing to learn and adapt when interacting with individuals from different cultures.

4. Can cultural influences and faux pas be beneficial in any way?

While cultural influences and faux pas can sometimes result in misunderstandings and conflicts, they can also lead to a better understanding and appreciation of different cultures. It can also help individuals become more culturally competent and sensitive.

5. How can cultural influences and faux pas be addressed and resolved?

Cultural influences and faux pas can be addressed and resolved through open and respectful communication. If a faux pas occurs, it is important to apologize and try to understand the cultural perspective of the other individual. Building relationships and learning from one another can also help to resolve cultural conflicts and misunderstandings.