Curiosity Question 2: Stopping a mass on a spring

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass oscillating on a spring with no kinetic friction and a static friction that is less than the spring constant times the amplitude. The problem asks for the minimum speed needed for a mass to collide with the oscillating mass and stop after the collision, as well as the time at which the mass should be launched. The conversation also mentions future parts of the problem and suggests challenging problems in the Halliday & Resnick book.
long758
For an introduction to the Curiosity Questions, please see the intro to Curiosity Question 1

Here is the first part of another problem I made up.
As I said in Question 1, I am posting this for
a) the enjoyment of everyone who reads them
b) work checking to see if they are riddled with mistakes or not
c) approach analysis, asking people to give me feedback on how I worked it.

Homework Statement

Mass m oscillates on a spring of spring constant k, at an amplitude A. There is no kinetic friction, but static friction of Us (Us mg is less than kA)

A) Find the minimum speed with which a mass 0.25 m can be launched against m for it to stop after the elastic collision at point x.

B) If the 1/4 m is located 1 meter from the natural length of the spring, when should it be launched?

There are more parts but I will post them later.

Homework Equations

I)##F=-kx##
II) ##F_{maxfriction}=Us mg##
III) KE is conserved in an elastic collision
##\frac{1}{2}(1/4m)v^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_m^2##
IV) Within the spring system, total energy is conserved and transferred between kinetic and potential
##\frac{1}{2}kA^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_{m max}^2=\frac{1}{2}mv_m^2+\frac{1}{2}kx^2##
V) ##v=dx/dt ##
or x/t for constant v

Unknowns:
x, vm, and v (I use v for the velocity of 1/4 m, and vm for the velocity of m on the spring)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the mass to be stopped by the collision and to be hung up on the static friction, the kinetic energy of the 1/4 m must equal the kinetic energy of the mass on the spring at x.

For the KE and velocity of 1/4 m to be at minimum, the KE of the mass on the spring must be at its minimum, so x must be as close to A as possible, and as much energy as possible should be stored in the spring as potential energy. Thus, ##kx = Us mg##, so the maximum x = ##\frac{Us mg}{k}##.

Combining III and IV
Total energy = ##\frac{1}{2}kA^2=(\frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{4}m)v^2) + \frac{1}{2}kx^2##

Combining above with I and II
##\frac{1}{2}kA^2=(\frac{1}{8}mv^2) + \frac{1}{2}k(\frac{Us mg}{k})^2##

Simplifying
##kA^2=(\frac{1}{4}mv^2) + \frac{(Us mg)^2}{k}##

Solving for v
##v=\sqrt{4\frac{kA^2-\frac{(Us mg)^2}{k}}{m}}##
or
##v=2\sqrt{\frac{kA^2}{m}-\frac{m(Us)^2(g)^2}{k}}##

B)
Now that I have the velocity, it is not hard to find the time at which the mass should be released when it is placed at 1 m away.
##d=1+x##

From above:
##x=\frac{Us mg}{k}##
(x also = ##\sqrt{A^2-\frac{mv^2}{k}}##--I checked)

So ##t=\frac{d}{v}=\frac{1+\frac{Us mg}{k}}{2\sqrt{\frac{kA^2}{m}-\frac{m(Us)^2(g)^2}{k}}} ##

That is about all the latex I can do right now, but in the next post, I will address
C) What is the distance between m and 1/4 m when 1/4 m is released in part B?

D) What speed of 1/4 m is needed if the collision is fully inelastic rather than elastic?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some pretty challenging problems in the Halliday & Resnick book. If you have the tenth edition try problems 33-37 on page 205. I would be interested in seeing someone else's solutions.

Hmm... I am not totally sure how this relates at all to the question, but if you would like to comment on the original post, I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I don't have the tenth edition of H&R, but if you really would like, you can PM the questions and I could give them a shot. But this thread is for the problem above, not H&R :wink:

1. How does the mass on a spring affect its oscillation?

The mass on a spring affects its oscillation by changing the period, frequency, and amplitude of the oscillation. A heavier mass will result in a longer period, lower frequency, and larger amplitude, while a lighter mass will result in a shorter period, higher frequency, and smaller amplitude.

2. How does changing the spring constant affect the oscillation of a mass on a spring?

Changing the spring constant affects the oscillation of a mass on a spring by altering the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a shorter period, higher frequency, and smaller amplitude, while a lower spring constant will result in a longer period, lower frequency, and larger amplitude.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a mass on a spring?

Damping affects the motion of a mass on a spring by reducing the amplitude of the oscillation over time. This can be seen in real-life systems where friction, air resistance, or other forces cause the oscillation to gradually decrease until it comes to a stop.

4. Can the mass on a spring ever come to a complete stop?

Yes, the mass on a spring can come to a complete stop if there is enough damping present to overcome the energy provided by the initial force. In a perfectly damped system, the mass will eventually come to a complete stop without any oscillation.

5. How does changing the initial force affect the motion of a mass on a spring?

Changing the initial force affects the motion of a mass on a spring by altering the amplitude of the oscillation. A stronger initial force will result in a larger amplitude, while a weaker initial force will result in a smaller amplitude. However, the period and frequency will remain the same regardless of the initial force.