Current and power in restisor combo

In summary: Basically, just rearrange the resistors so that the current goes through all of them in the same direction.
hitman0097

Homework Statement

The battery in the figure below has negligible internal resistance.
26-50.gif

(a) Find the current in each resistor.
3 ohm resistor-
4 ohm resistor-
2 ohm vertical resistor-
2 ohm diagonal resistor-
(b) Find the power delivered by the battery.

Homework Equations

Loop Rule, Junction Rule, Resistor Rule. ?
P=VI=RI2=(V2/R)
R=V/I
I=V/R
Req=(V1+V2/I)

The Attempt at a Solution

6/3=2A 6/4= 1.5A, 6/2=3A ect. all wrong
For I1: -3omhs (since it's along the current) I1-2omhs(along current)I1+6V=0 solving for I1=1 wrong
Am I leaving stuff out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You tried to use the loop rule for the loop involving the 3 ohm and the vertical 2 ohm resistor only. It didn't work because the loop is not a closed, isolated loop. After the current has passed from the positive end of the battery through the 3 ohm resistor, it has the option of going into three different branches. Therefore, the current in the 3 ohm resistor is not the same as the current in the vertical 2 ohm resistor. That's why the loop rule didn't work.

But I did just give you a hint about the arrangement of the vertical 2 ohm, diagonal 2 ohm, and 4 ohm resistors that should make this problem easy.

Isub1(-3ohms-2ohms-2ohms-4ohms)+6V=0 Solve for I=.55A Current only changes at intersections so all the current has to pass threw the 3 ohms then branch into 3 parts it reconnects with the 2 diagonal and the 4 ohms then they reconnect with the 2 vertical. Which must equal the incoming current? right. I think I get the idea it's just the setup that is confusing me a bit.

Hey, first of all, I'd start with finding the Main current I.

The 2 ohm(R2), 2 ohm(R3) and 4 ohm(R4) resistors are all in parallell with each other, and in serial with the 3 ohm (R1), so:

R1 + (R2||R3||R4) = Rtot
3 ohm + ((1/2 ohm)+(1/2 ohm)+(1/4 ohm)) = 3.8 ohm

You'll find the current via Itot=E/Rtot => 6 volt / 3.8 ohm = 1.58A

From there, you can use current divider to find the current going through each resistor(if you don't know what current dividing is, there's a good article on wikipedia)

Ir1 = 1.58A (the whole main current is going through it)
Ir2 = 1.58A * ((2 ohm||4 ohm)/((4 ohm||2 ohm) + 2 ohm) = 0.632A
Ir3 = 1.58A * ((2 ohm||4 ohm)/((4 ohm||2 ohm) + 2 ohm) = 0.632A

Imain - Ir2 - Ir3 - Ir4= 0
Imain - Ir2 - Ir3 = Ir4
1.58A - 0.632A - 0.632A = 0.316A

Power delivered by the battery => P=UI => 6v*1.58A = 9.48 W

Hope I could help, cheers.

Thanks, I asked my professor and he gave me that same method.

1. What is the difference between current and power in a resistor combo?

Current is the flow of electric charge, measured in amperes (A), while power is the rate at which energy is transferred, measured in watts (W). In a resistor combo, current is the same at all points, but the power can vary depending on the resistance of the resistors.

2. How do I calculate the current in a resistor combo?

To calculate the current in a resistor combo, you can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. Simply add the resistances of the resistors in series or use the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the resistances in parallel.

3. What happens to the current and power in a resistor combo if the resistance increases?

If the resistance in a resistor combo increases, the current will decrease, and the power will also decrease. This is because the higher resistance restricts the flow of current and decreases the amount of energy transferred, resulting in a decrease in power.

4. Can the power in a resistor combo ever be negative?

No, the power in a resistor combo can never be negative. Power is always a positive value, as it represents the rate of energy transfer. If the current and voltage have opposite signs, the power will be negative, but this simply indicates the direction of energy transfer, not the actual value of power.

5. How does adding a resistor in series or parallel affect the current and power in a resistor combo?

Adding a resistor in series will increase the total resistance and decrease the current flowing through the circuit, resulting in a decrease in power. On the other hand, adding a resistor in parallel will decrease the total resistance and increase the current, leading to an increase in power. However, the total power in the circuit will always be conserved.