Current Areas of research in Optics?

In summary, the conversation is about current areas of research in Optics. The speaker is interested in theoretical research in optics, specifically in the subfields of ultrafast, quantum, and lasers. They mention some universities that conduct research in these areas, such as Texas A&M, University of Arizona, University of Colorado Boulder, University of Maryland, and Rochester. The speaker also mentions their own research in transformation optics.
Niflheim
Hello, I'm not sure whether this thread should be in a guidance section or here, but I think its more closely related to this area.

As the title of the thread says, what are some current areas of research in Optics, if any?

Thanks for any and all replies

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course there is any and your question itself is still way too general. Which research field in optics do you want to know, is it more into theoretical physics,more into applied physics, or more into technology?

I'm mainly into theoretical, but maybe dabbling into some experimental stuff too. I said "if any" because as far as basic theoretical optics goes as far as I know most everything going on is closer to quantum field theory and not pure light studies.

People do theoretical research in optics in all the subfields: ultrafast, quantum, lasers, etc. Check out research at Texas A&M, University of Arizona, University of Colorado Boulder, University of Maryland, Rochester, and others but these ones come to mind first. I currently do transformation optics.

Thanks for the reply, I will look into those sources

1. What are some current areas of research in Optics?

Some current areas of research in Optics include quantum optics, photonic crystals, biophotonics, nonlinear optics, and metamaterials.

2. What is quantum optics?

Quantum optics is the study of the behavior and interactions of light and matter on a quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and classical optics to understand the properties of light and its interactions with atoms and molecules.

3. What are photonic crystals?

Photonic crystals are materials that have a periodic structure at the nanoscale, which can control the propagation of light. They are being studied for applications in optical computing, telecommunications, and sensing.

4. How is biophotonics being researched in optics?

Biophotonics is the study of using light to understand and manipulate biological systems. In optics, it involves the use of advanced imaging techniques and light-based therapies for applications in medicine and biology.

5. What are metamaterials and how are they being studied in optics?

Metamaterials are artificially engineered materials that have unique properties not found in nature. In optics, they are being studied for applications in cloaking devices, super-resolution imaging, and energy harvesting.