Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current Areas of research in Optics?

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    Hello, I'm not sure whether this thread should be in a guidance section or here, but I think its more closely related to this area.

As the title of the thread says, what are some current areas of research in Optics, if any?

Thanks for any and all replies

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course there is any and your question itself is still way too general. Which research field in optics do you want to know, is it more into theoretical physics,more into applied physics, or more into technology?

4. Feb 19, 2015 #3
    I'm mainly into theoretical, but maybe dabbling into some experimental stuff too. I said "if any" because as far as basic theoretical optics goes as far as I know most everything going on is closer to quantum field theory and not pure light studies.

5. Feb 19, 2015 #4
    People do theoretical research in optics in all the subfields: ultrafast, quantum, lasers, etc. Check out research at Texas A&M, University of Arizona, University of Colorado Boulder, University of Maryland, Rochester, and others but these ones come to mind first. I currently do transformation optics.

6. Feb 20, 2015 #5
    Thanks for the reply, I will look into those sources

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook