Current Density and Conductivity and Electric Field

In summary, an electric field causes negatively and positively charged ions to drift. The drift speed is proportional to the field strength and the density of the ions.
Oijl
In the time between posting this and now, I have found my mistake. So, problem solved.

Homework Statement

Earth's lower atmosphere contains negative and positive ions, created by radioactive elements in the soil and cosmic rays from space. In a certain region, the atmospheric electric field strength is 140 V/m and the field is directed vertically down. This field causes singly charged positive ions, at a density of 610 cm^-3, to drift downward and singly charged negative ions, at a density of 550 cm^-3, to drift upward. The measured conductivity of the air in that region is 2.70 multiplied by 10-14 (ohm·m)^-1.

Calculate the magnitude of the current density.

Homework Equations

J = conductivity * E
J = nev
(v here represents the drift speed)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was writing this and lost what I wrote (alas, I was too verbose!), so here's it quick:

J = conductivity * E = 2.7*10^-14 * 140 = 3.78*10^-12 <<------- correct
v = J / ne
Here we have two values for n, one of positive ions and one of negative ions. So I figured I could write:
v = J / (e(n1-n2))
where n1 represents the density of the positive ions and n2 of the negative.

I checked my math a whole lot, but I keep coming out with v = 0.393258427 m/s, which is wrong, says www.webassign.com.

So apparently I can't just take the net drift?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's weird, you're solution looks good to me.

Ya, actually, it was correct, I was just putting it in wrong. (So I'm sorry for putting up a question for such a ridiculous reason.) (I'm not being sarcastic, since this is just text and that can be hard to tell sometimes.)

But anyway, the second part of the question is the real thing that's stumping me. And so I changed the first post.

1. What is current density?

Current density is the amount of electric current flowing through a unit area. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented by the symbol J and is measured in amperes per square meter (A/m²).

2. How is current density related to conductivity?

Current density is directly proportional to the conductivity of a material. Conductivity, represented by the symbol σ, is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electric current. The higher the conductivity, the higher the current density for a given electric field strength.

3. What is the relationship between current density and electric field?

Current density is directly proportional to the electric field strength. This means that as the strength of the electric field increases, the current density also increases. The relationship is described by Ohm's Law: J = σE, where J is the current density, σ is the conductivity, and E is the electric field strength.

4. How is current density calculated?

To calculate current density, divide the electric current by the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing. This can be represented by the equation J = I/A, where J is the current density, I is the electric current, and A is the cross-sectional area.

5. What is the significance of current density in electrical circuits?

Current density is an important factor in determining the efficiency and safety of electrical circuits. If the current density is too high, it can cause overheating and potentially damage the circuit. On the other hand, if the current density is too low, it may not be sufficient to power the desired load. Therefore, it is important to consider current density when designing and analyzing electrical circuits.