Current Mirrors to drive LEDs.

In summary, this person is trying to build a circuit to drive multiple LEDs under test and is considering using a current mirror. However, they are not sure if they can chain the mirrors together and are looking for another suggestion.
Jet Black
Hi all,

I am trying to build a circuit for driving multiple LEDs under test at a given current, and the LEDs are to be individually tested with multimeter. Now I know I could just run them all in series and they would get the same current, but if one LED breaks, then the whole circuit goes down. I was thinking of using a current mirror, but I have not really worked with them before and am not sure if I can chain them together i.e. a single reference current to drive them all, with a common voltage source driving the rest, and a common ground to all of them, with the LEDs on the 'copy' arm of the current source. the component I am thinking of using is this:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0c5c/0900766b80c5c6ff.pdf

if it would help for me to draw a diagram, I can do that!

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using the same LED's. If so then couldn't you put them all in parallel? They would all get the same voltage and thus draw the same amount of current then you could put your multimeter in series with the parallel array and divide the current by however many LED's you have and you have the current through each LED. You could even do it with different LED's but there would be some additional calculations that may have to be involved nothing a good spreadsheet can't solve.

I guess I don't exactly understand what you are trying to do so my suggestion may be completely useless. I don't have any experience with current mirrors.

If you want another suggestion would be to use a npn transistor for each led then give each base the same low voltage reference signal. You would also need the same large resistance for each base. This takes advantage of the amplification factor of the transistor (Hfe). For example the Hfe for a PN2222A is 100 soooo if you a reference signal of 3 volts for each transistor and a 1 MΩ resistor you should theoretically end up with a 30mA which is in the ballpark for LED's. Also it doesn't matter the voltage you give each LED.

Hopefully this was some help even though I couldn't help you with the current mirror.

Current mirrors are great when properly engineered, but I would avoid them when driving LEDs as the currents and differential collector voltages are high enough to give differential temperature errors. Using emitter resistors is the only way to linearise a mirror in that situation. The mirror packages you link to, when used in parallel, do no more than behave as an expensive single transistor.

So reduce the requirement to discrete NPN transistors. As a suggestion, use a +5V / -5V power supply. Connect all the NPN bases to the zero volt rail. Then an accurate resistor to set the current, say 1k → 5.5ma, from their emitters to the -5V rail. Now put your LEDs between the collectors and the +5V rail. Any LED from 0V to 5.5Vfwd can be driven since operation of the NPN in saturation is possible.

Variation of LED current should be less than about 2%. A shorted LED will not kill the system. An open circuit LED will require the transistor base provide the entire emitter current, so pick a transistor that can handle that base current.

1. What is a current mirror?

A current mirror is a circuit that copies the current of one input to another output. It is commonly used in electronics to provide a stable and accurate output current.

2. How does a current mirror work?

A current mirror consists of a pair of transistors, where one transistor (the "master") controls the current through the other transistor (the "follower"). The master transistor is connected to a reference current source, and the follower transistor mirrors the current from the master.

3. Why are current mirrors used to drive LEDs?

Current mirrors are used to drive LEDs because they can provide a stable and precise current to the LED, ensuring that it operates at its optimal brightness and efficiency. This is important for applications such as lighting and displays.

4. What are the advantages of using current mirrors for LED driving?

There are several advantages of using current mirrors for LED driving. They can provide a constant current regardless of changes in input voltage, they have high output impedance which helps protect the LED from voltage fluctuations, and they can be easily scaled for driving multiple LEDs in parallel.

5. Are there any limitations to using current mirrors for LED driving?

One limitation of using current mirrors for LED driving is that they require a stable and accurate reference current source. If the reference current source is not stable, it can affect the accuracy of the output current, leading to variations in LED brightness. Additionally, current mirrors may not be suitable for driving high-power LEDs as they have limited power handling capabilities.