1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current of electricity- power of a resistor in parallel

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361688080.789973.jpg

I got the answer by comparing I2R of the circuit with resistor R but why do i have to use R/2 for power of resistor R?( P= (0.5I)^2 (R/2)) I know its parallel to Resistor Q but i want to find the power of that component so shouldnt it be P= (0.5I)^2 (R) instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

if R is the resistance of resistors P Q and R (unfortunate notation!) and I is the total current drawn from the battery ... that's what I'd have thought. What made you think otherwise?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  4. Feb 24, 2013 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yup. Resistors R and Q have half the current of P so the powers are

P: I^2 R
    R & Q: (I/2)^2 R = 1/4 I^2 R

So the ratios are 2:2:8 (or if you prefer 2+2+8=12W)

Multiple choice answer A) 2W.

Who says you do?

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It could be a misread or a typo in a model answer - if the argument was that the power dissipated in the parallel resistors is (I^2)(R/2) then the power dissipated in one of them must be 0.5(I^2)(R/2). Somehow the 0.5 got included in the brackets?

(0.5I^2)(R/2)=(I^2)R/8 ... which would give a power not on the multiple choice list wouldn't it?

But I don't see OPs answer or all the working on the attachment ... I see the start of a sum that goes off the edge of the pic, and an arrow to the simplified result:
    12W=(I^2/2)(2R/3)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook