Current Signals at Switched times problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of unit step functions in signal processing and their application in describing ramps and other signals. The article on Laplace transformations is suggested as a helpful resource. The conversation also touches on the use of MATLAB and provides examples of unit step functions with different expressions inside the parentheses. The concept of the Heaviside step function is also mentioned as a way to control the start time of a signal.
JoeMarsh2017

Homework Statement

upload_2017-1-15_15-14-49.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

i(t)=5u(t)+ 3u(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

FullSizeR.jpg
FullSizeR.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is somewhat ambiguous. Does your textbook provide answers to any similar questions, because that might help figure out what they want. Their answer to question 2.7 might be enlightening.

Your sketch looks more puzzling than the question.

My instructor is actually making his own textbook for the course, so we don't have a textbook to reference to this semester. He is cutting problems out of another book and posting them in a PDF for us to work on...no clue what the book is...
upload_2017-1-15_16-53-45.png

Yes, we are working on Unit Step functions, ramps, and combining signals right now. I am stuck on another part because I am still learning how to use MATLAB. i(t)=u(5t)+u(3t^2)

I am still confused but is this where it becomes a "power function" like A^2/n! ?
Joe

JoeMarsh2017 said:
Yes, we are working on Unit Step functions, ramps, and combining signals right now. I am stuck on another part because I am still learning how to use MATLAB.i(t)=u(5t)+u(3t^2)

I am still confused but is this where it becomes a "power function" like A^2/n! ?
Joe
The examples in the article all show that the expression inside the unit step's parentheses is a simple expression such as (t) or (t–4), but no multiples of t, and no powers of t.

So, for example, a ramp starting at t=0 could be described as t • U(t)
and a steeper ramp as, e.g., 10t • U(t)

If the ramp signal is described as just 10t then at times before t=0, i.e., negative time, the ramp function would have a non-zero value. But when we don't want it to be a ramp for negative time we multiply it by the Heaviside step U(t) to indicate the ramp starts at t=0, and before that it is everywhere zero.

Were we to want a signal to not appear until t=4, the unit step needed would be U(t–4).

From wikipedia:
The Heaviside step function, or the unit step function, ... is a discontinuous function whose value is zero for negative argument and one for positive argument.

Related to Current Signals at Switched times problem

1. What is the "Current Signals at Switched times problem"?

The "Current Signals at Switched times problem" refers to a phenomenon in electrical engineering where an abrupt change in the current flow through a switch causes a spike in voltage that can damage electronic components.

2. What causes the "Current Signals at Switched times problem"?

The "Current Signals at Switched times problem" is caused by the inductance and capacitance of the circuit. When a switch is opened or closed, it creates a sudden change in the current flow, which can induce high voltages in the circuit due to the inductance. These high voltages can damage sensitive electronic components.

3. How can the "Current Signals at Switched times problem" be prevented?

The "Current Signals at Switched times problem" can be prevented by using different techniques such as adding snubber circuits, using flyback diodes, or using solid-state relays. These methods help to reduce the high voltages and protect the electronic components from damage.

4. Why is the "Current Signals at Switched times problem" a concern in electronic circuits?

The "Current Signals at Switched times problem" is a concern in electronic circuits because it can cause damage to sensitive components, leading to malfunction or failure of the circuit. This can result in costly repairs or replacements and can also pose a safety hazard in certain applications.

5. Can the "Current Signals at Switched times problem" be completely eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the "Current Signals at Switched times problem", it can be significantly reduced by using proper circuit design techniques and components. However, it is important to always consider this issue when designing electronic circuits to ensure the safety and reliability of the system.