Current standing of qubit research

In summary, a third year physics student is writing a paper on qubit research and is looking for help in finding different approaches to creating qubits for quantum computers. Some potential techniques mentioned include the usage of nitrogen-vacancy center in diamond, majorana fermion, and quantum dots. Another technique suggested is superconducting qubits, which is a leading candidate and has a recent review published in Science. The student is grateful for any other suggestions and acknowledges that this topic could lead to an interesting discussion.
Verdict
Good day everyone,
I apologize if this is not the correct forum; in some way it is a homework question but not of the ordinary form. This semester I will be writing a ~3000 word paper on the topic of the current standing in qubit research, where I will be describing and comparing various different approaches/researches to creating qubits to be used in a quantum computer. I am a third year bachelor of physics student, so I do understand 'some' of the technical parts, but overall it will not be that in depth.
Now my question is mostly if you could help me out and point me in the right direction. As this is a topic where you can't (as far as I can tell) find a simple overview of different approaches and go from there, I'm having some issues creating a comprehensive list of techniques that I will focus on. One idea that I had was looking at some of the recent conferences on the topic, as that will surely list several different approaches, but I haven't been able to find a suitable one. This might just be me though, I've never actually browsed through conferences before and I don't know what the actual terms would be that they would use to describe this kind of research.

One of the things that I will look into is he usage of nitrogen-vacancy (NV) center in diamond, as I found it rather intriguing and (as far as I can tell) it has quite some potential. Another thing that comes to mind is the majorana fermion, and maybe quantum dots. But apart from that I am a bit lost. I would be very grateful if you could help me out and suggest some other interesting approaches, and again I apologize if this is not the correct place to talk about this. I suppose it could lead to a rather interesting discussion as well, so please do post your own opinions on the subject!

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to have a look at superconducting qubits as well since this is one if the leading candidates and is a scalable technique.
There was a fairly recent review in Nature (or perhaps it was Science) which should explain the basics and the state-of-the art (although this is a rapidly developing field)

Thank you very much! That's definitely also something I will have to include. That article has proven to be elusive so far, but that would indeed be a very good starting point.

Edit: Could it be that you were referring to http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v464/n7285/full/nature08812.html ?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a qubit and why is it important in research?

A qubit, short for quantum bit, is the basic unit of information in quantum computing. Unlike classical computers that use classical bits which can only exist in a state of 0 or 1, qubits can exist in multiple states at the same time, known as superposition. This allows for much more complex calculations to be performed at a faster rate, making it a crucial component in quantum research.

2. What is the current progress in qubit research?

The current progress in qubit research is rapidly advancing, with various approaches being explored such as superconducting circuits, trapped ions, and spin qubits. Significant milestones have been achieved, such as the development of error correction techniques and increasing the number of qubits that can be controlled and entangled.

3. What are the challenges in qubit research?

There are several challenges in qubit research, including the difficulty in maintaining qubits in a stable state for long periods of time, known as coherence, as any interaction with the environment can cause decoherence. Another challenge is scaling up the number of qubits while maintaining low error rates, which requires advanced engineering and control techniques.

4. How does qubit research differ from traditional computing?

Qubit research differs from traditional computing in that it utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to encode and process information, whereas traditional computing relies on classical bits and logic gates. This difference allows for much more complex and parallel calculations to be performed, potentially solving problems that are intractable for classical computers.

5. What are some potential applications of qubit research?

Qubit research has the potential to revolutionize fields such as cryptography, drug discovery, and artificial intelligence. It could also greatly enhance our understanding of quantum mechanics and lead to the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and quantum communication networks.