Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current transducers application field

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    Hello, guys. My question is related to my research work and I really really need help.

I am a Phd student involved to the work of one R&D department. We are currently working with a technology which allows us to improve the performance of Hall effect based current sensors, in particular we can provide larger frequency bandwidth( >400 kHz) comparing to the Hall effect based (250 kHz), accuracy 0.1% and while remaining at same price range with the hall effect based sensors. While investigating the market needs and applications of the sensors I have faced with a problem that Hall effect sensors cover the needs of the industry pretty well, so no obvious gaps were found. I am not a professional in the field yet, that's why i need help in picking out some potential industries our sensor can be used, with an emphasize on 400 kHZ of frequency bandwidth and 0.1% of accuracy. It is a part of my future thesis, so I really will appreciate any help/advice. May be you can give me some hints what application can really benefit from it? Or may be someone just can share his opinion?

Thank you for the collaboration.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Are you sure that Hall effect sensors are currently limited to 250kHz bandwidth? Tektronix' line of clamp-on current probes have bandwidths in the 100's of MHz:

http://www.tek.com/datasheet/probes-current-measurement-systems

And I believe they use Hall sensors, since they work down to DC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook