Current transducers application field

In summary: Hall effect sensors can cover a wider frequency band than what is currently available on the market. This may be useful for applications that don't require the highest accuracy, or for applications that need a wider bandwidth.
Svetka
Hello, guys. My question is related to my research work and I really really need help.

I am a Phd student involved to the work of one R&D department. We are currently working with a technology which allows us to improve the performance of Hall effect based current sensors, in particular we can provide larger frequency bandwidth( >400 kHz) comparing to the Hall effect based (250 kHz), accuracy 0.1% and while remaining at same price range with the hall effect based sensors. While investigating the market needs and applications of the sensors I have faced with a problem that Hall effect sensors cover the needs of the industry pretty well, so no obvious gaps were found. I am not a professional in the field yet, that's why i need help in picking out some potential industries our sensor can be used, with an emphasize on 400 kHZ of frequency bandwidth and 0.1% of accuracy. It is a part of my future thesis, so I really will appreciate any help/advice. May be you can give me some hints what application can really benefit from it? Or may be someone just can share his opinion?

Thank you for the collaboration.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Svetka said:
Hello, guys. My question is related to my research work and I really really need help.

I am a Phd student involved to the work of one R&D department. We are currently working with a technology which allows us to improve the performance of Hall effect based current sensors, in particular we can provide larger frequency bandwidth( >400 kHz) comparing to the Hall effect based (250 kHz), accuracy 0.1% and while remaining at same price range with the hall effect based sensors. While investigating the market needs and applications of the sensors I have faced with a problem that Hall effect sensors cover the needs of the industry pretty well, so no obvious gaps were found. I am not a professional in the field yet, that's why i need help in picking out some potential industries our sensor can be used, with an emphasize on 400 kHZ of frequency bandwidth and 0.1% of accuracy. It is a part of my future thesis, so I really will appreciate any help/advice. May be you can give me some hints what application can really benefit from it? Or may be someone just can share his opinion?

Thank you for the collaboration.

Welcome to the PF.

Are you sure that Hall effect sensors are currently limited to 250kHz bandwidth? Tektronix' line of clamp-on current probes have bandwidths in the 100's of MHz:

http://www.tek.com/datasheet/probes-current-measurement-systems

And I believe they use Hall sensors, since they work down to DC.

1. What is a current transducer and how does it work?

A current transducer is a device that converts an electrical current into an output signal that can be used for monitoring or control purposes. It typically works by using a magnetic core and a conductor to measure the magnetic field generated by the current, and then converts this measurement into an electrical signal.

2. What are the common applications of current transducers?

Current transducers have a wide range of applications in various industries, such as power generation, manufacturing, and renewable energy. They are commonly used for monitoring and controlling electrical systems, measuring the efficiency of motors and other equipment, and ensuring safe and efficient operation of power grids.

3. What are the advantages of using current transducers?

Current transducers offer several advantages over other methods of measuring current, including high accuracy, non-intrusive installation, and the ability to measure both AC and DC currents. They also have a fast response time and can operate in harsh environments, making them suitable for a variety of applications.

4. Are there different types of current transducers available?

Yes, there are various types of current transducers available, including Hall effect, Rogowski coil, and shunt-based transducers. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications. It is important to choose the right type of current transducer based on the specific needs of the application.

5. What factors should be considered when selecting a current transducer?

When selecting a current transducer, it is important to consider factors such as the type and range of current to be measured, the accuracy and resolution required, the environmental conditions, and the output signal required. It is also important to choose a reputable and reliable manufacturer to ensure the quality and performance of the transducer.