Curvilinear One Dimensional System

In summary, the conversation is about a child's toy with a cylinder on top of a hemisphere and finding the gravitational potential energy when it is tilted at an angle theta. The book gives a hint to find the height of the CM as a function of theta. The suggested solution involves calculating h as (R+b)cos theta+ r*theta*sin theta, but there is uncertainty about the value of b.
kala

Homework Statement

There is a child's toy, which has the shape of a cylinder mounted on top of a hemisphere (the picture the book has looks like a half of a circle with a square on top.). The radius of the hemisphere is R and the CM of the whole toy is at a height h about the floor. (this in the picture has the half circle's radius is R and then above that is the CM which is at height h.) Write down the gravitational potential energy when the toy is tipped to an angle theta from the vertical. The book gives a hint and says that you need to find the height of the CM as a function of theta.

Homework Equations

P=mgh is potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just having trouble deciding if my h is correct. I think that
h=(R+b)cos theta+ r*theta*sin theta where b is the distance from R to the CM.
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "the distance from R". I am thinking in terms of the CM of the cylinder only. I would say that I have something similar to what you have.

FAQ: Curvilinear One Dimensional System

1. What is a curvilinear one dimensional system?

A curvilinear one dimensional system is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a particle along a curved path in one dimension. It takes into account the curvature of the path, as well as the particle's speed and acceleration.

2. How is a curvilinear one dimensional system different from a linear one dimensional system?

In a linear one dimensional system, the particle's motion is restricted to a straight line, while in a curvilinear one dimensional system, the particle can follow a curved path. Additionally, the equations and principles used to describe motion in a linear system are different from those used in a curvilinear system.

3. What are some real-world examples of curvilinear one dimensional systems?

Examples of curvilinear one dimensional systems include the motion of a roller coaster along its track, the path of a satellite orbiting the Earth, and the motion of a car along a winding road.

4. How is the motion of a particle described in a curvilinear one dimensional system?

The motion of a particle in a curvilinear one dimensional system is described using equations and principles of calculus, such as position, velocity, and acceleration. These equations take into account the curvature of the path and the particle's speed and direction of motion at any given point.

5. What are some applications of curvilinear one dimensional systems in scientific research?

Curvilinear one dimensional systems are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology. They are particularly useful in studying the motion of objects in curved paths, such as in fluid dynamics and celestial mechanics.

Back