1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylinder with moving piston as air moves in spring contracts

1. Aug 26, 2006 #1
    I have a question with a horizontal cylinder with a piston attached to a spring inside the cylinder. air is then let into the cylinder and the spring contracts increasing the volume. the diameter of the piston is given (10cm), the spring force is given (80KN/m), the initial volume is given (1L) and the initial pressure is 150kPa. the final volume and temperature is given as well, (1.5L) and (80*C). the question asks to find the final pressure and mass after the air has been let into the cylinder.
    I know that F=kx F=P/a PV=mRT and Pv=RT, But i cant figure out how to manipulate these equations to solve for the pressure or the mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Find the change in length of the spring. Final pressure is determined from the spring force at that extension.

Use: PV = nRT to then determine n and from that the mass of the air.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?