Cylindrical Capacitor Computation

In summary: The signal velocity along the center conductor (along axons) is proportional to 1/sqrt(LC) or 1/(RC), and the signal amplitude (voltage or spikes) is proportional to sqrt(L/C) or (1/C). For high amplitude signals and for faster signals, a low capacitance is better. The capacitance for a given geometry (given a, b, L) is proportional to the dielectric constant: Air = 1. mylar (duPont sheets) = 3.2, myelin sheath around axon = 6 to 10, and water = 80. So to preserve both fast nerve signals and high amplitude signals (for given a, b, and L),
Engineering news on Phys.org
The first equation for a cylindrical capacitor is correct, and is written for an air-filled capacitor (no dielectric).

the equation for a dielectric-filled cylindrical capacitor is

C = 2 pi ek e0 L / Ln(b/a) Farads

where ek == dielectric constant of membrane (unitless)
e0 == 8.85 x 10-12 Farads per meter
L == length of capacitor in meters
Ln(x) == natural log of x
b, a == outer and inner radii in meters
=======Homework=====
Check consistency of all units in above equation
Look up the dielectric constant of mylar (DuPont)
Compare to dielectric constant of a myelinated nerve
Look up the description of multiple sclerosis
Look up the definition and description of demyelination

Last edited:
Bob S said:
=======Homework=====
Check consistency of all units in above equation
Look up the dielectric constant of mylar (DuPont)
Compare to dielectric constant of a myelinated nerve
Look up the description of multiple myeloma
Look up the definition and description of demyelination

The two last homework lines aren't necessary at all since I'm a health professional. :wink:
I understand the first one and may compare the two dielectric constants but myelinated/unmyelinated dielectric vary with authors.

What happens when b grows toward the value of L?

Edit: I found a dielectric value for myelin around 6 to 10.

Last edited:
somasimple said:
What happens when b grows toward the value of L?

Edit: I found a dielectric value for myelin around 6 to 10.
RE What happens when b grows toward L? This is a difficult 3-D problem, so I looked in my favorite E&M book (Smythe) but could not find a good answer. My suggestion is if L< b then replace L with b.

I will make a few comments about signal transmission lines and capacitance, and I will try to make them applicable to nerve signals. There are two basic types of analog transmission lines (delay lines) used by engineers: The L - C transmission line (usually dispersionless) and the R - C delay line (usually dispersive). In both types, the signals travel through the series components; L (inductance), or R (resistance), or axons or schwann cells. In all types the capacitance C is between the center conductor (axon or schwann cells) and the outer ground conductor, separated by a space between a and b (insulating dielectric or myalin sheath).

The signal velocity along the center conductor (along axons) is proportional to 1/sqrt(LC) or 1/(RC), and the signal amplitude (voltage or spikes) is proportional to sqrt(L/C) or (1/C). For high amplitude signals and for faster signals, a low capacitance is better. The capacitance for a given geometry (given a, b, L) is proportional to the dielectric constant: Air = 1. mylar (duPont sheets) = 3.2, myelin sheath around axon = 6 to 10, and water = 80. So to preserve both fast nerve signals and high amplitude signals (for given a, b, and L), air is best, followed by mylar, myelin sheath, and water (worst). For a given L and a, larger b is better (but scales only as Ln (a/b))
I hope this helps.

somasimple said:
What happens when L is <= b? Does the computation change?
The electric field was calculated by applying Gauss' law to an infinite cylinder. Which is why L must be >> than b.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capcyl.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob S said:
The signal velocity along the center conductor (along axons) is proportional to 1/sqrt(LC) or 1/(RC), and the signal amplitude (voltage or spikes) is proportional to sqrt(L/C) or (1/C). For high amplitude signals and for faster signals, a low capacitance is better. The capacitance for a given geometry (given a, b, L) is proportional to the dielectric constant: Air = 1. mylar (duPont sheets) = 3.2, myelin sheath around axon = 6 to 10, and water = 80. So to preserve both fast nerve signals and high amplitude signals (for given a, b, and L), air is best, followed by mylar, myelin sheath, and water (worst). For a given L and a, larger b is better (but scales only as Ln (a/b))
I hope this helps.

Thanks Bob but I simulated the lines with Micro Cap 9 (http://www.spectrum-soft.com/index.shtm" ) and I found effectively the same values of a signal dampening. There is a low pass filtering and, of course, a lower capacitance helps to enhance the cut-off frequency of the filter. But enhancing the limit of the filter doesn't give any mean to enhance the velocity of a signal, I think?
Secondly, the cut-off frequencies are around 10/50 Hz and the the mean sinusoidal frequency (first harmonic) of a firing neuron is often > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_potential#Taxonomic_distribution_and_evolutionary_advantages" but it is very well transmitted. It's a kind of huge contradiction.

dlgoff said:
The electric field was calculated by applying Gauss' law to an infinite cylinder. Which is why L must be >> than b.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capcyl.html"
That's why I asked

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a cylindrical capacitor?

A cylindrical capacitor is a type of electronic component used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material, with one or both plates in the shape of a cylinder.

2. How is the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor calculated?

The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε₀L/ln(b/a), where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, L is the length of the cylinder, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer plates, respectively.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor?

The capacitance of a cylindrical capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, the type of dielectric material used, and the permittivity of the material between the plates.

4. How is the electric field between the plates of a cylindrical capacitor calculated?

The electric field between the plates of a cylindrical capacitor can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage across the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. What are some common applications of cylindrical capacitors?

Cylindrical capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to store energy, regulate voltage, and filter signals. They can also be found in power supplies, audio equipment, and electric motors.