Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical coordinate sysyem-Gambit

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    hi,
    i am doing a simulation of 3D problem.i want to draw it cylindrical coordinate sysyem(r,z, o).but gambit shows X , Y , Z Coordinate . how to do in cylindrical co ordinate , will it show r, z and o axis ?
    i opened the Tools command button then i changed the co ordinated system to cylindrical and I acctivé it . but it still at cartesien coordinate

please reply

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

minger

Science Advisor

From what I know, Gambit is the mesher used for Fluent (neither of which I've used). Speaking from another ANSYS mesher, ICEM, what we typically did when trying a cylindrical domain is to simple mesh a "slice". After that, there is an extrude option. That option gives you the option to basically revolve the current mesh around. That..gives you a cylindrical mesh.

If you simply want to plot variables against cylindrical coordinates, then just create user variables using transform functions.

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3
    thank you for your reply but t is not what I seek to carry out, indeed gambit uses the Cartesian coordinate , but I wants apparaitre the cylindrical co-ordinates (R, Z, O) because I will export an ASCII file from gambit containing the cylindrical co-ordinates.
    thank.

5. Jun 9, 2010 #4

minger

Science Advisor

At the very least, you could write out the file in some formatted text file, and then write a converter to read in the cartesian values and calculate the cylindrical equivalent.

6. Jun 9, 2010 #5
    thank a lot, i will try..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook