Cylindrical coordinate sysyem-Gambit

In summary, the conversation is about using Gambit for a 3D simulation and wanting to plot variables in a cylindrical coordinate system. The solution discussed is to use the extrude option to revolve the mesh and then create user variables using transform functions. There is also a suggestion to write a converter to calculate the cylindrical equivalent for exporting an ASCII file.
noussa
hi,
i am doing a simulation of 3D problem.i want to draw it cylindrical coordinate sysyem(r,z, o).but gambit shows X , Y , Z Coordinate . how to do in cylindrical co ordinate , will it show r, z and o axis ?
i opened the Tools command button then i changed the co ordinated system to cylindrical and I acctivé it . but it still at cartesien coordinate

please reply

Engineering news on Phys.org
From what I know, Gambit is the mesher used for Fluent (neither of which I've used). Speaking from another ANSYS mesher, ICEM, what we typically did when trying a cylindrical domain is to simple mesh a "slice". After that, there is an extrude option. That option gives you the option to basically revolve the current mesh around. That..gives you a cylindrical mesh.

If you simply want to plot variables against cylindrical coordinates, then just create user variables using transform functions.

thank you for your reply but t is not what I seek to carry out, indeed gambit uses the Cartesian coordinate , but I wants apparaitre the cylindrical co-ordinates (R, Z, O) because I will export an ASCII file from gambit containing the cylindrical co-ordinates.
thank.

At the very least, you could write out the file in some formatted text file, and then write a converter to read in the cartesian values and calculate the cylindrical equivalent.

thank a lot, i will try..

FAQ: Cylindrical coordinate sysyem-Gambit

1. What is a cylindrical coordinate system in Gambit?

A cylindrical coordinate system in Gambit is a type of coordinate system that is used to describe the location of a point in a three-dimensional space. It is based on a cylindrical shape and consists of a radial distance, an angle, and a height component.

2. How is a cylindrical coordinate system different from a Cartesian coordinate system?

A cylindrical coordinate system is different from a Cartesian coordinate system in that it is based on a cylindrical shape rather than a rectangular shape. Also, while a Cartesian system uses three axes (x, y, and z), a cylindrical system uses two axes (r and z) and an angle component.

3. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical coordinate system in Gambit?

One of the main advantages of using a cylindrical coordinate system in Gambit is that it simplifies the modeling process for certain types of geometries, such as cylinders and pipes. It also allows for a more intuitive description of rotational and symmetric objects.

4. How do I convert coordinates from a Cartesian system to a cylindrical system in Gambit?

In Gambit, you can convert coordinates from a Cartesian system to a cylindrical system by using the "Transform" tool. This tool allows you to specify the location and orientation of the new coordinate system, and then transforms the existing coordinates to the new system.

5. Can I switch between coordinate systems in Gambit?

Yes, you can switch between coordinate systems in Gambit by using the "Transform" tool. This allows you to easily switch between Cartesian, cylindrical, and other coordinate systems as needed for your modeling project.