D Latch and D type Flip Flop Question

In summary: The D latch has a transparent state when the clock is high, meaning the output follows the input. When the clock transitions from high to low, the output is frozen and ignores any changes in the input. The master-slave design of a flip flop allows for a more stable output by storing the input on the rising clock edge and then passing it to the output on the falling clock edge. This means that the values of D and Q only matter on the rising and falling edges of the clock. However, the output waveform may still change during the hold and setup time, which is why it is important to take care on these edges. In summary, the operation of D latches and flip flops involves the output following the input when the
gl0ck

Homework Statement

Hello,

I am thinking about the operation of the D latches and Flip Flops. I know
the operation of Latch :
When clock is hi:
-Q follows D in simple combinational behaviour
- D/Q path is transperant ( what I think it means what is on D can be seen on Q) ?
At the transition from hi to low
- Q output frozen
-Non - combinational behaviour, Q ignores D intput changes.
D-latch_zpsd7e2cfc7.jpg

Flip Flop :
When clock is low:
- the 'master' is transperant
-slave retained memorized output

At the transition low- hi:
-master stores input,slave transperant
-slave passes master stored value to the output
-'Data in' sampled at the rising clock edge, stored and passed to 'Data out'

Screenshotfrom2014-05-02103224_zps0431e799.png

My question is about the graphs under the diagrams. Should I take care only on the rising and folling edges of the clock ? Does it what only matters , I mean the values of D and Q on the rising and folling edges? If so, why the output waveform is like this, I mean it is changing during the hold, setup time ?

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In a D flip flop the output only changes on a rising clock edge.

What is a D-Latch?

A D-Latch is a digital logic circuit that is used to store one bit of data. It has two inputs - a data input (D) and a control input (C). The data input is stored in the latch when the control input is high, and remains stored until the control input is low.

What is the difference between a D-Latch and a D-type Flip Flop?

A D-Latch and a D-type Flip Flop are very similar, but the main difference is that a D-type Flip Flop has an additional clock input. This allows for the data to be stored and updated on a clock cycle, making it more useful in sequential logic circuits.

How do you build a D-Latch?

A D-Latch can be built using basic logic gates such as AND, OR, and NOT gates. The inputs are connected to the gates and the outputs are connected back to the inputs to create a feedback loop. This allows the data to be stored and updated based on the control input.

What is the purpose of a D-Latch in digital circuits?

A D-Latch is used as a basic storage element in digital circuits. It can store a single bit of data and hold it until it is updated by the control input. This is useful in sequential logic circuits, where data needs to be stored and updated on a clock cycle.

Can a D-Latch be used as a memory element?

No, a D-Latch is not typically used as a memory element as it can only store one bit of data. However, multiple D-Latches can be combined to create a larger memory element, such as a register or a memory block.