1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

JK flip flop master slave - Master remembers?

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    NB: Got a bit wordy, highlighted question in red.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just a picture of what we're dealing with.

I'm given a clock pulse, J and K inputs, and asked to describe the JK master-slave flip flop output.

2. Relevant equations

J K Q(t+1)
    0 0 Q(t) No change
    0 1 0 reset
    1 0 1 set
    1 1 Q'(t) Complement

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand:

Clock = 1 -> Master value can be modified by changes to J and/or K
    Clock = 0 -> Value of Slave is set to that of Master

4TavN.jpg

Sorry for the drawing, I hope it is sufficient. During the positive clock phase I called 2, there is a brief blip in the J.

J & K are both 1, so I complement the Master value. it is now 1.

Now here is where I get uncertain. As I understand it, ANY change in J and/or K, even if there are 1000 changes, during a positive clock phase, will be reflected in the master. So only the FINAL value, once the clock drops from 1 to 0, in the master, "sticks".

So I say: that blip in J, well it drops quickly, during a positive clock phase, and so that leaves us with J = 0, K = 1, which is reset, so I drop the Master to 0 again.

However, this professor:

(skip to 4:10)

he's got an image from a book that says: "...something tricky about the master-slave, it's called the "one's catcher", it remembers any activity on the J or K while the clock is high. The J went high, then it went low, but it remembers".

It remembers? Can somebody explain how it remembers?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2
    You have to take a look at the internal circuit, video at 1:30.

The SR for the master is *gated* by the constant output from the slave. If the slave has Q=1, setting J=1 on the master is ignored. Likewise if the slave has Q=0, setting K=1 on the master is ignored. In other words, if slave Q=1 you can only reset the master bit and if slave Q=0 you can only set the master bit with no way to take it back.

I suppose this turns into 'remembering ones', which may be a good mnemonic device once it's confirmed, but it doesn't teach anything :-/

4. Nov 5, 2012 #3
    Oh yeah. I see the Q and Q' values from the slave are wired back into the input gates of the master. That has some implications I have to take into account.

I agree with your statement on remembering ones. I can't accept that without understanding it, so thanks a lot for your help! Gonna take another look at this task tomorrow and make some adjustments. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook