1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

D flip-flop, S-R master-slave flip-flop, falling edge of clock, NAND

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A D flip-flop is implemented using an S-R master-slave flip-flop that changes states on the falling edge of the clock. Assume that the circuit is fabricated using NAND gates and that each gate has exactly a propagation delay Tpd = 1ns.

a) Determine the set-up (Tsu), hold (Th), and propagation delay (Tpd) parameters for this D flip-flop.

b)
    *Convert a master-slave S-R flip-slop into a J-K using the appropriate gates.
    *Compare the behaviour of this circuit to a falling edge-triggered J-K flip-flop. What are the fundamental differences?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I watched this video ( ) and, it helped me somewhat understand the basics but, I am still not too certain as to what is going on, specifically, and I'm unsure as to how I should start this problem.

I don't know what else to say but, if you need to me to say something, ask me.

Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw the logic diagram for the D-Type using NAND gates. Explore what happens when you keep the clock = 1 but D changes. The change on D will propagate around inside the latch. What happens if the clock falls while that's still happening? Will the output Q end up as the old or new value of D? If you want Q to become the new value of D how long do you need to allow for the change to propagate around inside the latch before the clock can change. That's the set up time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted