Suspicious Cysts Killing Fish - What Are They?

• Thread starter chound
  • Start date
In summary, there is a question about the round things in the fish tank that are believed to be cysts of bacteria causing fish deaths. However, more information is needed such as the type of fish, symptoms, and microscope amplification and staining to accurately diagnose the issue and find a solution.
chound
Does anyone know what the round round things are? I believe they are some cysts of the bacteria which has been killing all my fish

Attachments

• DSCN7864.JPG
    DSCN7864.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 399
  • DSCN7868.JPG
    DSCN7868.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 367
Biology news on Phys.org
First, bacteria produce spores not cyst. Second we need more information. what is the amplification of the microscope. Also did you do any stainning on the organism.

chound said:
Does anyone know what the round round things are? I believe they are some cysts of the bacteria which has been killing all my fish

What leads you to believe that it is bacteria that are killing your fish? There are many other problems that can go wrong in fish tanks, ie, chemical imbalance/overload, fungal infection, parasite infestation, etc. It's not that I doubt you, we just need some symptoms to better diagnose the problem and hopefully suggest a solution.

Oh it would also help you tell us what kind of fish you got.

I don't know what type of fish it it is

The amplification is probably 15x * 10x or 15x * 16.2% - 10x

I did stain it using saffronin.

1. What are suspicious cysts and how do they kill fish?

Suspicious cysts are abnormal growths on fish that can lead to their death. These cysts are usually caused by parasites or bacteria that infect the fish and cause tissue damage, organ failure, and ultimately death.

2. Are suspicious cysts contagious to other fish?

Yes, suspicious cysts can spread to other fish in the same body of water. The parasites or bacteria responsible for the cysts can be transmitted through direct contact or through contaminated water.

3. Can suspicious cysts be treated?

Yes, there are treatments available for suspicious cysts in fish. However, the success of treatment depends on the type of parasite or bacteria causing the cysts and the severity of the infection. It is important to consult a veterinarian or fisheries expert for the appropriate treatment plan.

4. How can we prevent suspicious cysts from occurring?

The best way to prevent suspicious cysts in fish is to maintain good water quality and hygiene in the fish tank or body of water. Regularly clean and disinfect equipment, avoid overcrowding fish, and quarantine new fish before introducing them to an existing population. It is also important to monitor the health of fish and address any issues promptly.

5. Are suspicious cysts harmful to humans?

No, suspicious cysts in fish are not harmful to humans. However, it is important to handle and prepare infected fish properly to avoid any potential health risks. Always wash your hands after handling fish and thoroughly cook any fish before consuming it.