Damped HO and Laplace transform method

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Laplace transform to solve a damped harmonic oscillator. The use of initial conditions and the Bromwich integral is mentioned. It is suggested to use the quadratic formula to solve for the roots and then factor and decompose into partial fractions, although this may involve a lot of algebra. The use of tables with a quadratic in the denominator is also brought up.
h0dgey84bc
Hi,

I am trying to solve the damped harmonic oscillator:

[itex] \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+\frac{b}{m} \frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}y=0 [/itex]

and I thought using the Laplace transform might do the trick. Anyway so I did the LT (and inserted the initial conditions that at t=0 y=A, and dy/dt=0) and obtained:

[itex] Y(p)=\frac{A(p+\frac{b}{m})}{p^2+\frac{b}{m}p+\frac{k}{m} } [/itex]

I can't seem to get this into a simple form so I can use the lookup tables to do the inverse transform. So I guess I have to somehow use the Bromwhich integral. Obviously the two poles are [itex]p=-\frac{b}{2m} \pm sqrt{ \frac{b^2}{4m^2}-\frac{k}{m} [/itex] and I recognise this from the actual solution so I think I'm on the right track.

I just don't know how to get the residues and complete the inverse

Physics news on Phys.org
Why go through all that?

This is a linear, homogeneous d.e. with constant coefficients. It's characteristic equation is r2+ (b/m)r+ k/m= 0. Solve for r using the quadratic formula.

If the roots are a[itex]\pm[/itex] bi, then the general solution is y(t)= eat(C cos(bt)+ D sin(bt))

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it can be done by simpler means, it's just that I'm currently revising Laplace transforms and thought this would be a good exercise for me...until I got stuck :(

Using the two roots for p, you can factor the denominator and then decompose into partial fractions.

It's a lot of algebra, but it should work.

(Aside: Your tables don't have examples with a quadratic in the denominator?)

1. What is a damped harmonic oscillator (HO)?

A damped harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion, similar to a simple harmonic oscillator, but with a damping force that decreases the amplitude of the oscillations over time.

2. What is the significance of damped HO in science?

Damped harmonic oscillators are commonly found in many physical systems, such as mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and biological systems. Studying the behavior of damped HO can help us understand the dynamics and stability of these systems.

3. What is the Laplace transform method?

The Laplace transform method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations, particularly those involving damped HO. It transforms a time-domain function into a complex frequency-domain function, making it easier to solve the equation.

4. How is the Laplace transform method used to solve damped HO?

The Laplace transform method can be used to solve a differential equation for a damped HO by transforming the equation into the frequency domain, where algebraic operations can be performed to find the solution. The inverse Laplace transform is then applied to obtain the solution in the time domain.

5. What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform method to solve damped HO?

The Laplace transform method allows for easier and more efficient solutions to differential equations involving damped HO. It also provides a general solution that can be applied to a wide range of systems, making it a useful tool in various fields of science and engineering.