Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped HO and Laplace transform method

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to solve the damped harmonic oscillator:

[itex] \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+\frac{b}{m} \frac{dy}{dt}+\frac{k}{m}y=0 [/itex]

and I thought using the Laplace transform might do the trick. Anyway so I did the LT (and inserted the initial conditions that at t=0 y=A, and dy/dt=0) and obtained:

[itex] Y(p)=\frac{A(p+\frac{b}{m})}{p^2+\frac{b}{m}p+\frac{k}{m} } [/itex]

I can't seem to get this into a simple form so I can use the lookup tables to do the inverse transform. So I guess I have to somehow use the Bromwhich integral. Obviously the two poles are [itex]p=-\frac{b}{2m} \pm sqrt{ \frac{b^2}{4m^2}-\frac{k}{m} [/itex] and I recognise this from the actual solution so I think I'm on the right track.

I just don't know how to get the residues and complete the inverse

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why go through all that?

This is a linear, homogeneous d.e. with constant coefficients. It's characteristic equation is r2+ (b/m)r+ k/m= 0. Solve for r using the quadratic formula.

If the roots are a[itex]\pm[/itex] bi, then the general solution is y(t)= eat(C cos(bt)+ D sin(bt))

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    I know it can be done by simpler means, it's just that I'm currently revising Laplace transforms and thought this would be a good exercise for me....until I got stuck :(

5. Oct 22, 2008 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using the two roots for p, you can factor the denominator and then decompose into partial fractions.

It's a lot of algebra, but it should work.

(Aside: Your tables don't have examples with a quadratic in the denominator?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?