Explore Attraction Basins of Damped Double-Well Potential Model

In summary, the conversation is about the damped double-well potential model, which has two fixed points at (1,0) and (-1,0) in the phase plane. The goal is to determine the attraction basins of these fixed points for a given damping coefficient (in this case, gamma = 1). This is achieved by converting the ODE to a system of ODEs and then using a program like Maxima to plot the phase portrait. The green and red regions in the resulting plot represent the attraction basins for the fixed points.
Dustinsfl
I don't understand how to start.

Consider the damped double-well potential model
$$
\ddot{x} - x + x^3 + \gamma\dot{x} = 0,
$$
where $\gamma$ is the damping coefficient.
This model has two fixed points at $(x,\dot{x}) = (1,0)$ and $(-1,0)$. In the phase plane $(x,\dot{x})$, determine the attraction basins of these fixed points. You can decide which $\gamma$ value to use (try to choose one which gives the best picture/graph). Note: the attraction basin of a fixed point is the set of initial points which go to the fixed as $t\to\infty$.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
I don't understand how to start.

Consider the damped double-well potential model
$$
\ddot{x} - x + x^3 + \gamma\dot{x} = 0,
$$
where $\gamma$ is the damping coefficient.
This model has two fixed points at $(x,\dot{x}) = (1,0)$ and $(-1,0)$. In the phase plane $(x,\dot{x})$, determine the attraction basins of these fixed points. You can decide which $\gamma$ value to use (try to choose one which gives the best picture/graph). Note: the attraction basin of a fixed point is the set of initial points which go to the fixed as $t\to\infty$.

Change the ODE to a system of ODEs, we have
\begin{alignat}{3}
x_1' & = & x_2\\
x_2' & = & x_1 - x_1^3 + \gamma x_2
\end{alignat}
When $\gamma = 1$, how do I find the attraction basin?

dwsmith said:
\begin{alignat}{3}
x_1' & = & x_2\\
\end{alignat}

So with reference to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f17/converting-ode-system-odes-2078/ thread your system of equations should be,

\[x_1'=x_2\]

\[x_2'=x_1-x_1^3-\gamma x_2\]

I don't know if this is helpful, but I have drawn the phase portrait of this system. Note that I have replaced, \(x_1\) by \(x\) and \(x_2\) by \(y\). If you have Maxima you can animate the graph so that you can find the phase portraits for different values of \(\gamma\). Here I have included graphs for several values of \(\gamma\).

\[x'=y\mbox{ and }y'=x-x^3-\gamma y\]

Code:
load("plotdf");

plotdf([y,x-x^3-a*y],[x,-5,5],[y,-5,5],[sliders,"a=-10:10"]);
\(\mathbf{\underline{\mbox{When }\gamma=0}}\)

2jey7ok.jpg
\(\mathbf{\underline{\mbox{When }\gamma=2}}\)

j8cdvo.jpg
\(\mathbf{\underline{\mbox{When }\gamma=-2}}\)

2508scy.jpg

Sudharaka said:
So with reference to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f17/converting-ode-system-odes-2078/ thread your system of equations should be,

\[x_1'=x_2\]

\[x_2'=x_1-x_1^3-\gamma x_2\]

I don't know if this is helpful, but I have drawn the phase portrait of this system. Note that I have replaced, \(x_1\) by \(x\) and \(x_2\) by \(y\). If you have Maxima you can animate the graph so that you can find the phase portraits for different values of \(\gamma\). Here I have included graphs for several values of \(\gamma\).

\[x'=y\mbox{ and }y'=x-x^3-\gamma y\]

Code:
load("plotdf");

plotdf([y,x-x^3-a*y],[x,-5,5],[y,-5,5],[sliders,"a=-10:10"]);
\(\mathbf{\underline{\mbox{When }\gamma=0}}\)

2jey7ok.jpg
\(\mathbf{\underline{\mbox{When }\gamma=2}}\)

j8cdvo.jpg
\(\mathbf{\underline{\mbox{When }\gamma=-2}}\)

2508scy.jpg

I have the phase portraits too but I don't know how to find the attractor basin still.

dwsmith said:
\begin{alignat}{3}
x_1' & = & x_2\\
\end{alignat}

Typo $-\gamma x_2$.

dwsmith said:
Typo $-\gamma x_2$.

Note that I have corrected that in post #3.

dwsmith said:
I have the phase portraits too but I don't know how to find the attractor basin still.

Here is a figure that roughly depicts the attraction basins for the fixed points, \((1,0)\) and \((-1,0)\). The green region is the attractor basin of \((-1,0)\) and the red region is the attractor basin of \((1,0)\).

2lapy5e.png

How do you find the attractor basin?

dwsmith said:
How do you find the attractor basin?

I am not sure whether I understand your question here. The basins of attraction for \(\gamma=1\) are depicted in the figure in post #6.

1. What is the purpose of exploring attraction basins of damped double-well potential model?

The purpose of exploring attraction basins of damped double-well potential model is to understand the behavior of particles in a system with a potential energy function that has two wells. This model is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, to study the dynamics of systems with two stable states.

2. How is the damped double-well potential model used in scientific research?

The damped double-well potential model is commonly used in scientific research to study the behavior of particles in a system with two stable states. It is particularly useful in studying phase transitions, chemical reactions, and biological processes. This model allows scientists to analyze the stability and dynamics of systems with multiple energy states.

3. What factors affect the attraction basins in a damped double-well potential model?

The attraction basins in a damped double-well potential model are affected by various factors, including the strength of the potential energy function, the damping coefficient, and the initial conditions of the system. These factors determine the stability and convergence of the particles towards a specific energy state.

4. How do scientists visualize attraction basins in a damped double-well potential model?

Scientists often use computer simulations or mathematical models to visualize attraction basins in a damped double-well potential model. This allows them to plot the trajectories of particles and observe their behavior in the system. They can also use phase diagrams and bifurcation diagrams to visualize the stability of the system.

5. What are the practical applications of studying attraction basins in a damped double-well potential model?

The study of attraction basins in a damped double-well potential model has various practical applications in different fields of science. For example, it can help in understanding the behavior of molecules in chemical reactions, predicting the stability of biological systems, and analyzing the behavior of particles in condensed matter physics. This model also has applications in engineering, such as in the design of energy-efficient microelectronic devices.