Where Can I Find a Tutorial Animation for Damping of a 1D Oscillator?

In summary, the conversation was about the different cases of damping and a request for a web page with an animation that allows for specified initial conditions and a slider to observe the response. A helpful web page was suggested by another person.
JTC
(I list this as Advanced because the question is not what it seems from the title.)

So most know the cases: no damping, underdamping, critical damping, overdamping.

I got that: this is not a request for explanation. Rather...

Does anyone know of a web page that has some tutorial ANIMATION such that, for specified initial conditions,one could use a slider for the parameters (two of, say, mass, stiffness, damping, normalized) and observed the response "morphing/deforming/whatever" from one case to another?

Physics news on Phys.org
scottdave said:
Something like this may be along the lines you are looking for. It is not exactly what you asked, though. And I did not install the plugin from Wolfram, to play around with it. http://www.demonstrations.wolfram.com/TheDampedNonlinearPendulum/

Thank you. That works for what I need.

Likes scottdave

What is damping in a 1D oscillator?

Damping in a 1D oscillator refers to the process of reducing the amplitude of oscillations over time. It is caused by the dissipation of energy due to external forces such as friction or air resistance.

How does damping affect the motion of a 1D oscillator?

Damping affects the motion of a 1D oscillator by reducing the amplitude of oscillations, slowing down the oscillations, and eventually bringing the oscillator to rest. It also changes the frequency of the oscillations, making them occur at a lower frequency.

What are the types of damping in a 1D oscillator?

The three main types of damping in a 1D oscillator are:

• Underdamping: where the amplitude of oscillations decreases over time, but the oscillator continues to oscillate.
  • Overdamping: where the amplitude of oscillations decreases over time until the oscillator comes to rest.
  • Critical damping: where the oscillator returns to its equilibrium position without overshooting or oscillating.

How is damping represented in a 1D oscillator system?

Damping is represented in a 1D oscillator system by a damping coefficient, denoted by the symbol "b". This coefficient is used in the equation of motion for the oscillator and determines the type and strength of damping present in the system.

What factors affect the damping of a 1D oscillator?

The damping of a 1D oscillator is affected by several factors including the material and shape of the oscillator, the presence of external forces, and the damping coefficient. Additionally, the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations can also affect the amount of damping present in the system.