Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dangerous everyday objects

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

I find that many objects are hazardous. (they seem quite harmless untill..)

For example:

Food category

Tootsie Roll Pops => I find that, after licking the lollipop a few times, I always get shards of the candy in my tongue.
    Jolly Rancher Hard candy => A swallowing risk is involved when you melt the candy untill it's small and thin. Shards of the candy can become embedded in tongue as well, I find.

Everyday items

Paper=> Paper cuts anyone?

Can anyone think of anymore hazardous items in our everyday lives that seem harmless enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2008 #2
    air ... LOL!

and everything that you can touch :)

4. Jun 30, 2008 #3
    - You'll kill us... with a soup cup?
    - Tea, actually.
    - What's that?
    - I'll kill you with my teacup.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Ones own teeth, i am all ways bite ing my tongue.

6. Jun 30, 2008 #5
    Paper cuts will be the death of me

Twice today! *ouch*

:)

7. Jun 30, 2008 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Paper shredders. Never wear a tie around those things. A person's head will never fit down the little slot, but most people panic anyway. The panic attack can result in serious neck strain.

Legos, especially on the stairs .... especially if walking barefoot down the stairs with a cup of coffee.

Complex math problems. They're always fun until someone loses an i.

8. Jun 30, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Crisps/potato chips are another, get a sliver of one wedged between your teeth and it is most annoying.

Stop eating candy christina, it will ruin your complexion.

9. Jun 30, 2008 #8
    Atoms. One decayed once, and my cat died.

10. Jun 30, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I have a healthy respect for the pretty little peppers. My kitchen is a haz-mat zone whenever I make habanero relish. The simplest little things, like absent-mindedly scratching an itch can result in surprises.

[​IMG]

11. Jun 30, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're lucky it's just an itch.
    How do you tell an organic chemist?
    They are the ones that wash their hands BEFORE they go to the bathroom.

12. Jun 30, 2008 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Uh, I'm not sure that people actually fear having their head chopped into confetti (though I'll bet a shredded lip or nose might not be so much fun, even if unlikely).

However, I do think they quite reasonably fear being choked by their own tie.

13. Jun 30, 2008 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

:biggrin:

:uhh:
    How do you know it wasn't already dead? :rofl:

14. Jun 30, 2008 #13

turbo

Gold Member

When I was a process chemist in a Kraft pulp mill, I was VERY religious about the before-and-after hand-washing. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that when you are handling extracts from the system (black liquor from the digester, for instance) you are dealing with some extremely complex stuff, the health effects of which have never been studied in depth.

15. Jun 30, 2008 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kittens. They are ankle-biting demons from hell.

16. Jun 30, 2008 #15
    Had to look ... Ya just had to look. :rofl:

You cat killer you :biggrin:

17. Jun 30, 2008 #16
    When I was young, my grandfather was a pepper enthusiast and had quite a few different types in his back yard. One day I decided to check out a few of the peppers, so I proceeded hold a few of them and spin them around while still on their stems to get an up close look. Well, I was pretty allergic to pollen at the time, so at one point I gave both of my eyes a pretty good rub. WHAM! I don't think i've ever experienced a pain like that before. I remember laying on a couch for hours with a wet rag on my eyes, crying out because they stung so bad.

I literally hated peppers up until my early 20's where I, out of nowhere, seemed to develop a taste for them. Now I just about can't eat anything without straight peppers or at least pepper seasoning on it. The hotter the better!

18. Jun 30, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Had to look and collapse kitty's wave-form...bad.

19. Jun 30, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Visit the "turbo-1's hot stuff" thread and get the recipe for making habanero relish. I'm about the only person who'll eat it apart from my brother and a neighbor - both chili-heads. Math Jeans swears by it and Astronuc likes it, too. You can make it in small batches and refrigerate it, or make larger batches like I do and process the canning jars in a boiling-water bath.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  20. Jun 30, 2008 #19
    My son once accidentally shut his wifes cat in their bottom freezer refrigerator.

They found the frosted cat after hearing a strange muffled sound coming from the fridge.

21. Jun 30, 2008 #20
    The little heating element on coffee makers stays hot for quite some time after it is shut off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?