Dangerous Wavelengths In Glassblowing

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of eye protection for working in a glass studio, specifically protecting against harmful radiation emitted by equipment such as oxy-propane torches and propane-air glory holes. The use of laser safety glasses is also discussed, with different opinions on their effectiveness. The thread has been inactive for three years, but the information provided by a user named Gary, who is a dispensing optician and glassblower, clarifies the proper type of protection needed for different types of glass used in the studio. The conversation takes an unexpected turn when the original poster, Koopdi, returns after three years to thank Gary for his accurate information and explain why he subscribed to the thread. A humorous exchange follows between Koopdi
koopdi
Hello all,
this is my first post on physics forums.

I recently started working in a glass studio and am curious to know what radiation is being emitted by the equipment so that I can purchase appropriate eye protection. What wavelengths of harmful light are emitted from burning oxygen and propane/natural gas?

I already need to buy glasses for laser safety. I am wondering if I can use the same pair for both certain colors of laser light as well as the radiation emitted from the oxy-propane torches and propane-air glory holes.

I'm looking at this site:
http://store.oemlasersystems.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_10_12

Any thoughts?

anyways -- hello physics forums!

-travis

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question. Do others in the studio wear eye protection? My favorite laser safety company is Kentek, but in the end what matters is matching the safety device to your needs.

Other than welder's goggles, I'm not sure what would be appropriate- laser goggles are generally only good for a very specific waveband, so the overwhelming majority of light from a glory hole would pass right through.

koopdi said:
What wavelengths of harmful light are emitted from burning oxygen and propane/natural gas?

Apart from intensity in your scenario, I'm not sure if any significant harmful wavelengths occur, such as UV. I don't know.

Normal polycarbonate safety goggles block UV pretty well and if i was working with bubbles of hot glass I would be wearing them anyway.
Most visible wavelengths for thermal sources (ie not lasers) you would be protected by the blink reflex - you aren't going to stare at something as bright as the sun for long enough to do any damage ( unless you are an idiot)

Thanks all, for the responses.
I had been told by one glass blower that any sort of plastic lens would block all the UV radiation. Another glass blower told me that not even UV filtered sunglasses would be sufficient and that some sort of secondary light baffle was necessary. To the internet with this! I replied.
Perhaps someone with some chemistry knowledge can tell me about an oxygen propane reaction.

It depends on the plastic. Polycarbonate (perspex/lexan) used for safety goggles blocks UV
And I would definitely be wearing them anyway around bubbling hot glass.
I wouldn't wear regular sunglasses, you don't know what plastic they are made of and what they would do if a hot bit of debris hit them - they might melt, crack or explode!

Propane only burns at around 2000C (about half an oxy-acetene welder) so there is going to be almost no UV.
(I'm not convinced that you can get damaging levels of UV from gas welding at all)

You might want to wear darkened eye protection just for comfort if you are staring into the flame for a long time. Most welding goggles might be too dark.
Green laser goggles might be dark enough to block the blue propane flame but they are generaly a lot more expensive than welding goggles.

Whatever you wear make sure it is impact resistant and has whatever kite mark/UL/CSA stamp is used in your country.

Wow...not one piece of correct information here. Let me see if I can clear this up.

Glassblowers wear didymium lenses to filter the bright yellow sodium flare given off by all glass when exposed to high heat. Regular (soda) glass only needs this protection. The lenses are not even really about protection so much as they give you the ability to SEE what you are working on. If you work with larger pieces of borosilicate glass then you need to ADD a #2 welders shade to your didymium lenses for UV and IR protection.

Gary, Dispensing Optician AND Glassblower.

FYI fly_boy, this thread has been inactive for 3 years.

FYI that's why I subscribed to this thread.;D
Thanks for the info, Gary!

Lol! Can't believe you came back after 3 years without being a regular member!

Drakkith said:
FYI fly_boy, this thread has been inactive for 3 years.
Seeing as he seems to be more accurate than the rest of the posts put together,I'd forgive him for the necro.
Drakkith said:
Lol! Can't believe you came back after 3 years without being a regular member!
This is pretty hilarious. You mean over 3 years, no other threads have interested you?

Why don't you have better things to do that point out how old the thread is?!

At least one person appreciated my information.

I have been interested in many threads here I just don't post unless I have something to add to the information.

You are welcome.

fly_boy_bc said:
Why don't you have better things to do that point out how old the thread is?!

Because most people don't realize that when they do this, the people in the thread are usually gone and any questions that they may have or answers that they give may not be seen by the original posters. This seems to be an exception to the norm.

I have been interested in many threads here I just don't post unless I have something to add to the information.

You are welcome.

I think we were referring to Koopdi, the OP of the thread. :biggrin:

1. What are dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing?

Dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing refer to the wavelengths of light that are emitted by the hot glass and can cause harm to the eyes and skin of the glassblower. These wavelengths are primarily in the infrared and ultraviolet spectrum and are not visible to the human eye.

2. How can I protect myself from dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing?

The best way to protect yourself from dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing is by wearing proper safety equipment, such as safety glasses or goggles that have been specially designed to block out infrared and ultraviolet light. It is also important to wear protective clothing that covers the skin and to work in a well-ventilated area.

3. What are the potential health risks of exposure to dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing?

Exposure to dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing can cause damage to the eyes, including burns and cataracts. It can also lead to skin damage, such as burns and premature aging. Prolonged exposure can also increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for working with dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by organizations such as the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). These regulations include requirements for protective equipment, ventilation, and training for workers who are exposed to dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing.

5. Can I use regular safety glasses for protection against dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing?

No, regular safety glasses are not sufficient protection against dangerous wavelengths in glassblowing. They are designed to protect against visible light and debris, but do not block out the specific wavelengths of light emitted by hot glass. It is important to use safety glasses or goggles that are specifically designed for glassblowing.