Thermal radiation and light pump

In summary, the conversation discusses thermal radiation and how it relates to the activation of quantum oscillators and temperature. The question is raised about the effect of raising the temperature on thermal radiation and emission from electron transitions in materials such as glass. It is concluded that as the temperature increases, line emissions will be replaced with diffuse bands due to increased Doppler broadening and collisional broadening.
Matej Kurtulik
Hello,
I read a lot at this forum about thermal radiation but still i have questions.
Consider black body at some temperature T. It means that inside that body we activate many modes of quantum oscillators with some probability(Bose-Einstein) depend on temperature T.
Now let's have some bulk material, for example some glass, which has some line emissions from electrons excitations and some thermal from movement and collisions of atoms. I pump the glass with some light, which is absorbed and subsequently emitted. I am raising the temperature of the glass, so thermal radiation is rised as well.
My question is, what will happen if I will raise temperature with the emission. if in high temperature the thermal radiation will govern, and I won't see any emission from electron transitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a solid, there are already no more line emissions. If you consider a gas, as the temperature increases, you will have greater Doppler broadening and collisional broadening. You will no longer have clear line emissions, but diffuse bands.

sure, I am sorry, it is what I meant. not line but some broader peak

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted by all objects with a temperature above absolute zero. It is the transfer of heat energy through the emission of infrared light.

2. How is thermal radiation related to light pump?

Light pump refers to the process of using light energy to excite atoms or molecules, causing them to emit thermal radiation. This is commonly seen in lasers, where light energy is used to pump up the population of atoms in the lasing medium, resulting in the emission of coherent light.

3. What is the difference between thermal radiation and light pump?

Thermal radiation is the natural emission of electromagnetic radiation from objects with a temperature above absolute zero, while light pump is a deliberate process of using light energy to excite atoms and induce the emission of thermal radiation.

4. How is thermal radiation and light pump used in everyday life?

Thermal radiation is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as cooking, heating, and lighting. Light pump is used in technologies such as lasers, LED lights, and solar panels.

5. What are the potential hazards of thermal radiation and light pump?

Exposure to high levels of thermal radiation can result in burns and other tissue damage. Light pump technologies, such as lasers, can also pose a risk of eye damage if proper safety precautions are not taken.