Daniel's question at Yahoo Answers regarding related rates

In summary, the rate of increase of the area of the rectangle is 1.6 cm^2 s^-1 when the length is increasing at a rate of 0.4 cm s^-1 at the instant the length is 8 cm.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Question on Rate of Change?

The breadth of a rectangle is 1/4 of its length. Calculate the rate of increase of the area of the rectangle when its length is increasing at the rate of 0.4 cm s^-1, at the instant the length is 8 cm.

I came out with this formula : da/dt = da/dl x dl/dt
but i didn't know how to subsitute the values into the formula. Can anyone help me with this.

Answer given : 1.6 cm2 s^-1

Here is a link to the question:

Question on Rate of Change? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Daniel,

Let's let $W$ represent the breadth (width) of the rectangle and $L$ represent the length. We are told the breadth is 1/4 the length, hence we may state:

$\displaystyle W=\frac{L}{4}$

Now, we are asked to find the rate of change of the area with respect to time, so a good place to begin is with the formula for the area of a rectangle:

$\displaystyle A=WL$

Since we are given information on the time rate of change of the length, we want to express the area as a function of the length alone, so we may substitute for the width as follows:

$\displaystyle A=\frac{L}{4}\cdot L=\left(\frac{L}{2} \right)^2$

Now, differentiating with respect to time $t$, we find:

$\displaystyle \frac{dA}{dt}=2\cdot\frac{L}{2}\cdot\frac{1}{2} \cdot\frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{L}{2}\cdot\frac{dL}{dt}$

Now, using the given data $\displaystyle \frac{dL}{dt}=0.4\,\frac{\text{cm}}{s},\,L=8\text{ cm}$, we have:

$\displaystyle \frac{dA}{dt}=\frac{\left(8\text{ cm} \right)}{2}\cdot\left(0.4\,\frac{\text{cm}}{s} \right)=1.6\,\frac{\text{cm}^2}{s}$

1. What is the concept of related rates in math?

Related rates in math refer to the study of how two or more quantities change in relation to one another. It involves finding the rate at which one variable changes while holding another variable constant.

2. How do you solve related rates problems?

To solve related rates problems, you need to follow these steps:
1. Identify all the relevant variables involved in the problem.
2. Write an equation that relates these variables.
3. Differentiate the equation with respect to time.
4. Substitute in the given values and solve for the unknown rate.

3. What is the difference between related rates and derivatives?

Related rates and derivatives are closely related concepts, but there is a key difference between them. Related rates involve finding the rate of change of two or more variables that are related to each other, while derivatives involve finding the instantaneous rate of change of a single variable.

4. Can you give an example of a related rates problem?

One example of a related rates problem is a water tank filling with water at a constant rate of 5 cubic feet per minute. The tank is in the shape of a cone with a height of 10 feet and a radius of 3 feet. How fast is the water level rising when the water is 6 feet deep?

5. How can related rates be applied in real life?

Related rates can be applied in various real-life situations such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the rate at which a population is growing, or predicting the rate of change in the volume of a balloon as it is being inflated.