David's Fourier Transform Problem from YAnswers

In summary, we found the Fourier transform of p(t) to be P(ω) = 18/(9^2+ω^2) and used the shift theorem to find the inverse Fourier transform of 6/((ω+2)^2+9^2) as -3/(πω)+i3/(πδ(ω)).
CaptainBlack
Here's my problem;Find the Fourier transform \(P(\omega)\) of the function;\[ p(t)=\left\lbrace \begin{array}{ll} e^{-9t} & \text{for } t \ge 0 \\ e^{9t} & \text{for } t \lt 0 \end{array} \right.\]Hence (use one of the shift theorems) find the inverse Fourier transform of; \( \frac{6}{(\omega+2)^2 + 9^2} \)many thanks!----------------------------------------------------------------------Well we start by guessing which definition of the Fourier transform you are working with. I will assume you want:
\[P(\omega)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}p(t)e^{-i \omega t}\;dt\]With our function this becomes:
\[\begin{aligned} P(\omega)&=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-9t}e^{-i \omega t}\;dt+\int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{9t}e^{-i \omega t}\;dt\\
&=\left. \frac{e^{-(9+i \omega)t}}{-9-i \omega} \right|_0^{\infty}+\left. \frac{e^{-(-9+i \omega)t}}{+9-i \omega} \right|^0_{-\infty} \\
&=\frac{1}{9+i\omega}+\frac{1}{9-i\omega} \\
&=\frac{18}{9^2+\omega^2} \end{aligned}\]

To complete this the shift theorem you need is:
\[\mathfrak{F}\left[ e^{-i a t}p(t) \right]=P(\omega+a)\]

CB

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Using this theorem, we can find the inverse Fourier transform of \(\frac{6}{(\omega+2)^2 + 9^2}\) as follows:
\[\begin{aligned} \mathfrak{F}^{-1}\left[\frac{6}{(\omega+2)^2 + 9^2}\right]&=\mathfrak{F}^{-1}\left[\frac{6}{(\omega+3i)^2}\right] \\
&=\frac{6}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{i(\omega+3i)t}}{(\omega+3i)^2}\;d\omega \\
&=\frac{3}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{i\omega t}}{\omega^2}\;d\omega \\
&=\frac{3}{\pi}\left(-\frac{1}{\omega}+i\pi\delta(\omega) \right) \\
&=-\frac{3}{\pi\omega}+i\frac{3}{\pi}\delta(\omega) \end{aligned}\]

Therefore, the inverse Fourier transform of \(\frac{6}{(\omega+2)^2 + 9^2}\) is \(-\frac{3}{\pi\omega}+i\frac{3}{\pi}\delta(\omega)\). I hope this helps with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Related to David's Fourier Transform Problem from YAnswers

1. What is Fourier transform?

Fourier transform is a mathematical technique that breaks down a signal into its individual frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

2. Why is David's Fourier transform problem from YAnswers significant?

David's problem showcases the practical application of Fourier transform in solving real-world problems. It also highlights the importance of understanding the underlying mathematics behind the technique.

3. What is the main challenge in solving David's problem?

The main challenge in solving David's problem is identifying the correct frequencies in the signal and determining their amplitudes. This requires a good understanding of Fourier transform and its applications.

4. What are some common applications of Fourier transform?

Some common applications of Fourier transform include audio and image processing, data compression, speech recognition, and solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to Fourier transform?

Yes, Fourier transform has some limitations such as the assumption of a periodic signal and the requirement of a continuous and infinite signal. It may also introduce artifacts and lose some information in the original signal.