DC doesn't cause electromagnetism?

In summary, the teacher says that DC doesn't cause electromagnetism, and that you need to speak to them to get clarification.
PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
DC doesn't cause electromagnetism? That is what our teacher says. Can anyone explain why it doesn't? As far I remember I made an electromagnet from a nail by passing current through it from a battery cell about 6 years ago.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electromagnetics deals with time-varying electromagnetic waves which cannot arise due to DC sources. These are waves composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. The limit of electromagnetics when we go to DC is the electrostatic and magnetostatic theories. Magnetostatics certainly provides for a DC current to produce a magnetic field. Perhaps you misunderstood or your teacher mispoke.

Any charge creates an electromagnetic field, let alone current in which the field has both electric and magnetic components.

DC doesn't cause a varying magnetic field, which is required for certain electromagnetic components, eg. transformers.

I think what your teacher meant is that DC running through a straigh piece of wire will not produce a magnetic field although I'm not sure about that either. If you wrap a wire around a nail several times and run DC through the wire you will get a magnetic field though. It has to be an iron nail, no brass or steel.

Methinks PrincePhoenix should ask his teacher about that. I'm not very good at mind-reading, especially when I've never even met the person whose mind I'm trying to read. :wink:

He just says that DC doesn't work. And I might be doing something else in my "nail electromagnet" that I don't understand.

PrincePhoenix said:
He just says that DC doesn't work.

But for what purpose? Your phrase "cause electromagnetism" is unclear.

These are the generalizations about electric charge:

1. Any charged particle, moving or not, just because it exists, causes an electric field.

2. If the charged particle is also moving, including the case of any current in any wire, constant or not, straight or curved, then, in addition to producing an electric field, it also produces a magnetic field.

3. If that current keeps varying, in either magnitude or direction, then it also produces electromagnetic *waves*, which transmit energy.

PrincePhoenix said:
He just says that DC doesn't work. And I might be doing something else in my "nail electromagnet" that I don't understand.

No, a constant DC current does produce a magnetic field, period. Besides the Hyperphysics link that I posted, I've also done lab experiments which use an ordinary magnetic compass to study the magnetic field produced by a straight wire that carries a few amps of DC current.

PrincePhoenix said:

The ampere is defined with respect to the magnetic fields around two parallel straight wires each carrying a direct current.Also, if my history is correct H C Oersted discovered electromagnetism by passing a direct current through a straight wire.You need to speak to your teacher to get clarification.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electric current. AC is a type of current that periodically reverses direction, while DC flows in only one direction.

2. How does DC current create an electromagnetic field?

DC current does not create an electromagnetic field on its own. It is the changing electric and magnetic fields in DC circuits that generate electromagnetic waves.

3. Can DC current be used for wireless power transmission?

No, DC current is not suitable for wireless power transmission as it does not create an oscillating magnetic field necessary for induction to occur.

4. Is DC current safe to use?

DC current is considered safe to use in low-voltage applications. However, high-voltage DC can be more dangerous than AC as it does not have a zero-crossing point to allow for automatic shutdown in case of a fault.

5. Why is AC used for long-distance power transmission?

AC is used for long-distance power transmission as it can be easily transformed to high voltages using transformers, which reduces energy losses during transmission. DC transmission requires expensive converters to change the voltage, making it less efficient for long-distance transmission.