DC motor in series, finding the speed

In summary: Hence, flux is not constant.In summary, a 40kW series motor has an armature current of 74A and voltage of 550V when running at its rated load of 750 rev/min. Under 100% torque overload, the current increases to 110A and the motor speed is 538 rev/min. The power output is 57.4kW. The motor's field and armature resistances are 0.15 Ω and 0.35 Ω respectively. In order to find the motor speed and power output under 100% torque overload, the ratio of the back emf values at the two conditions can be used.
KESTRELx

Homework Statement

when running at its rated load, a 40kW series motor takes 74A and 550V. The rated speed is 750 rev/min. the armature and field resistances are 0.35 Ω and 0.15 Ω respectivly. when the load torque is doubled the rated value, the current is 110A. dertermin the moror speed and the power output at 100% torque overload.

Answers given, worked solution not
ans = 538 Rev/min and 57.4kW

Homework Equations

Work= Torque x (2pi x speed over 60)
torque = K(t) I(a) ψ (k(t) =constant and I(a)= armature current)
EMF =KNψ (k= constant)
EMF= v-IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Work= Torque x (2pi x speed over 60)
40000= T x ((2pi x 750) / 60)
T=509.29

EMF =KNψ (condition 1)
EMF =KNψ (condition 2)

divide both and cancel
k is constant as its the same motor
flux is constant (as flux is not given a value, i assume that its the same)

EMF(1) over EMF(2) = N(1) over N(2)
put both to the power -1 so as to find N(2) easier
EMF(2) over EMF(1) = N(2) over N(1)

((550 - (74 x 0.35+0.15)) over (550 - (74 x 0.35+0.15))) x 750 = N(2)
N(2) = 723.6 rev/min which is not the value of the answer

seeing as i can't get the speed right i can't go onto finding the power developed, however using the speed provided in the answer i have done it and correctly

Work= 2Torque x (2pi x speed over 60)
Work= 2Torque x (2pi x 538 over 60)
=57386W
=57.4kW

Physics news on Phys.org
Under rated load:
Back emf Eb=550-I(Rf+Ra)
Eb=513V
Mechanical power developed P1=EbI=513×74 W
Under 100% overload condition:
Eb=495V..(same formula with I=110A).
Mechanical power developed P2=495×110=54.45kW.
Taking ratio P1/P2, we get
P1/P2=2πNT/2πN1T1
513x74/495x110=N/2N1...(since T1=2T).
∴750/2N1=0.6971
∴N1=537.87 rpm≈538 rpm.

Last edited:
KESTRELx said:
k is constant as its the same motor
flux is constant (as flux is not given a value, i assume that its the same)
Series motor is not a constant flux motor. Field flux varies with load.

1. How does a DC motor in series work?

A DC motor in series is connected with the armature and field winding in series. This means that the current flows through both windings, creating a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets in the motor. This interaction produces a force called torque, which causes the armature to rotate and the motor to run.

2. What factors affect the speed of a DC motor in series?

The speed of a DC motor in series is affected by the voltage, the strength of the magnetic field, and the mechanical load on the motor. Increasing the voltage or the strength of the magnetic field will increase the speed, while adding a mechanical load will decrease the speed.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a DC motor in series?

The speed of a DC motor in series can be calculated using the formula: speed = (voltage/Ra) - (flux constant * armature current). Ra is the armature resistance and the flux constant is a value specific to each motor. The speed is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM).

4. What are some applications of DC motors in series?

DC motors in series are commonly used in small appliances and tools, such as fans, drills, and electric shavers. They are also used in electric vehicles, like electric cars and trains, as they provide a high starting torque and can operate at varying speeds.

5. How can you control the speed of a DC motor in series?

The speed of a DC motor in series can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or by using a variable resistor, such as a potentiometer, in the circuit. Another method is to use a pulse width modulation (PWM) controller, which rapidly switches the voltage on and off to control the speed of the motor.