Why is my homemade DC motor not working?

In summary, someone suggested that the current flow might be causing the motor to brake, and that the wire on the armature might need to be wound in the same direction all the way across.
physicstudent1111111
Summary:: I have built a DC motor as a physics project, it has neodymium magnets, copper split ring commutator and insulated copper wire. It connected to a 12v power pack. There is definitely a proper current flowing because it creates sparks and the copper coil becomes hot. When I turned on the power both sides of armatures create a magnetic force, I checked with a compass. I don't understand why it isn't working. Can someone please post if they think of any problems with my design. Thank you.

Screenshot 2022-03-24 at 5.48.09 pm.png
Screenshot 2022-03-24 at 5.48.27 pm.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I completely understand everything from your photos, but here a few few initial ideas to explore:

1) With the power off spin the rotor by hitting it and notice how quickly it slows down. Then, do it again with power applied. How do they compare. Does the current flow accelerate or brake the rotation?

2) Check the polarity of the magnetic fields (each winding and magnet) with your compass or another magnet, just to verify it's what you intended. This would need to include the polarity of the commutator.

3) Reduce the gap between the magnets and the solenoids. Solenoids don't project an on axis magnetic field as far as people think.

4) Regardless of the polarity of the coil, magnets attract ferrous stuff, like your nails/bolts. Using a test magnet see if the B-field induced by the current flow can overcome this. Can your coils repel a magnet when the polarities are opposed? You may need more turns on your windings.

I am not 100% sure but I think that the current flow is causing it to brake, what would this mean? Also I reduced the gap between the magnets.

did you try spinning it both directions?

Observe the torque as you slowly rotate it through one full revolution with the power on.

If it is trying to rotate, but not enough to keep running:
You may need to reduce bearing friction.
or
Check the commutator timing.
or
More power - more turns, smaller gap, or both.

If it pulls in one direction, then the other direction:
Check the polarity of the two coils vs the magnets.

I was once in a class where we made a DC motor like this. It didn't work because one of the coils was wound in the wrong direction. Both armatures were therefore working against each other.

Anachronist said:
I was once in a class where we made a DC motor like this. It didn't work because one of the coils was wound in the wrong direction. Both armatures were therefore working against each other.
Yes. This ∆∆∆∆∆.
The wire on the armature needs to be wound in the same direction all the way across. Look at the bolt you are using from one end. The whole thing must be wound the same direction all the way across. Not one direction on one side and the other direction on the other side.

Dullard said:
did you try spinning it both directions?
Yes I did

jrmichler said:
Observe the torque as you slowly rotate it through one full revolution with the power on.

If it is trying to rotate, but not enough to keep running:
You may need to reduce bearing friction.
or
Check the commutator timing.
or
More power - more turns, smaller gap, or both.

If it pulls in one direction, then the other direction:
Check the polarity of the two coils vs the magnets.
Unfortunately it has never produced any type of movement, I think this is because my shaft and armatures are too heavy and there is not enough windings to over come this weight.

Check the polarity of each of the two coils and the magnets.
You've now had 4 people suggest this. Have you done it yet?

You are getting good suggestions. If you follow them you greatly increase your chances of success. If you don't want to bother please stop asking for help. Otherwise please report exactly what happened when you followed suggestions.

Thanks.

1. Why isn't my homemade DC motor spinning?

There could be several reasons for this issue. First, check if all the connections are secure and the wires are properly connected. Also, make sure the battery or power source has enough voltage to power the motor. If the connections and power source are not the issue, then check if the motor's brushes are touching the commutator properly. If the problem still persists, there may be an issue with the motor's internal wiring or the strength of the magnets.

2. Why is my homemade DC motor spinning slowly?

This could be due to a few different reasons. First, check if the battery or power source has enough voltage to power the motor. If the voltage is too low, the motor will spin slowly. Additionally, check if the motor's brushes are clean and making proper contact with the commutator. If they are dirty or worn out, they may not be able to create enough friction to spin the motor quickly. Finally, make sure the motor's internal wiring is not damaged, as this can also affect its speed.

3. Why does my homemade DC motor make a buzzing sound but not spin?

This issue is most likely due to a lack of power. Check if the battery or power source has enough voltage to power the motor. If the voltage is too low, the motor may not have enough power to spin and will instead make a buzzing sound. Additionally, check if the motor's internal wiring is damaged or if the brushes are not making proper contact with the commutator. These issues can also cause the motor to make a buzzing sound without spinning.

4. Why is my homemade DC motor getting hot?

If your motor is getting hot, it could be due to a few different reasons. First, make sure the power source is not providing too much voltage, as this can cause the motor to overheat. Additionally, check if the motor's internal wiring is damaged or if the brushes are not making proper contact with the commutator. These issues can cause the motor to work harder and generate more heat. Finally, check if the motor's gears or bearings are not properly lubricated, as this can also cause excess heat.

5. Why is my homemade DC motor not working after I changed the batteries?

If your motor was previously working and stopped after changing the batteries, it could be due to a few different reasons. First, make sure the new batteries have enough voltage to power the motor. If the voltage is too low, the motor may not have enough power to function. Additionally, check if the new batteries are inserted correctly and if all the connections are secure. If the problem still persists, there may be an issue with the motor's internal wiring or the strength of the magnets.