De Broglie-Bohm theory books/material recommendations....

In summary, Pablo is looking to do his thesis on De Broglie-Bohm theory, which is a controversial topic but he refuses to accept the statistical crazyness of qm. He is not a super good student and is asking for some books or advice on the topic. He is unsure if a thesis on this topic is doable as an undergraduate.
pablo.93
Hi PF,

im finishing my bachelor soon and I would really like to do my thesis in De Broglie-Bohm theory.
I know its a controversial topic but i refuse to accept the statistical crazyness of qm(i passed qm already).
Im not a super good student so I´m asking you for some books on this theory, or just maybe name some topics in general that I should know perfectly well before starting my thesis in this topic.

Also, is a thesis in this topic doable at bachelor level?

Thanks!Pablo

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Pablo,

This topic can be a bit controversial, I think it should be clear to you that dBB theory/BM is a conceptual topic mostly in the foundations of QM/physics, namely a realistic interpretation of QM in the spirit of theoretical physics with not necessarily so much of a technical focus on the underlying mathematics or applications per se. That said, if you can find an advisor and are willing to go through with it, then I'd recommend at least the following three books:
  1. Bohm & Hiley 1993, The Undivided Universe: An Ontological Interpretation of Quantum Theory
  2. Durr & Teufel 2009, Bohmian Mechanics: The Physics and Mathematics of Quantum Theory
  3. Bell 2004, Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics: Collected Papers on Quantum Philosophy
These books should all be understandable to an undergrad. As the topic can be extremely wide - as is any deep topic - when studied seriously, I would advise you as an undergrad to limit yourself to a very particular aspect of BM i.e. choose carefully what it is exactly you want to know about BM; for example, I'd say relativistic extensions are beyond the scope of an undergraduate thesis.

Of course, whatever route you end up taking, I would also advise you to read the latest reviews on the theory, give a physics derivation of the quantum potential, present both strengths and weaknesses of the interpretation, and try to gauge the popularity of BM among physicists and physics students, both at your university and worldwide.

Likes Demystifier
The above is a great advice. I would only add the book
4. P.R. Holland 1993, The Quantum Theory of Motion

Thank you both!
I will take a look into those books.
I emailed my qm teacher asking him to supervise me and he hasnt answered yet... its been like 3 weeks haha. Thats probably a no. So i will try luck somewhere else.
Cheers!

1. What is the De Broglie-Bohm theory?

The De Broglie-Bohm theory, also known as the pilot-wave theory, is a hidden variable interpretation of quantum mechanics proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie and further developed by David Bohm. It suggests that particles have definite positions and trajectories, unlike in the traditional Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics where particles are described by a wavefunction that collapses upon measurement.

2. How does the De Broglie-Bohm theory differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie-Bohm theory differs from other interpretations of quantum mechanics in that it posits the existence of a hidden variable, also known as the "pilot-wave", which determines the trajectory of particles. This allows for a deterministic description of quantum phenomena, rather than the probabilistic nature of the Copenhagen interpretation.

3. What are some recommended books on the De Broglie-Bohm theory?

Some recommended books on the De Broglie-Bohm theory include "Quantum Mechanics: The Physics of the Microscopic World" by Rae A. Earnshaw, "Quantum Mechanics: A Paradigms Approach" by David H. McIntyre, and "The Undivided Universe: An Ontological Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics" by David Bohm and Basil Hiley.

4. Are there any introductory materials available for those new to the De Broglie-Bohm theory?

Yes, there are several introductory materials available for those new to the De Broglie-Bohm theory. Some recommended resources include "The Bohmian Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics: A Short Overview" by Detlef Dürr and Stefan Teufel, and "Bohmian Mechanics: The Physics and Mathematics of Quantum Theory" by Detlef Dürr, Sheldon Goldstein, and Nino Zanghì.

5. How does the De Broglie-Bohm theory address the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

The De Broglie-Bohm theory addresses the measurement problem in quantum mechanics by proposing that particles have definite positions and trajectories, even when not being measured. This allows for a deterministic explanation of how measurements occur, without the need for wavefunction collapse. The measurement process is seen as simply revealing the pre-existing state of the particle. However, the exact nature of measurement in this theory is still a topic of debate among physicists.