Solving Concentration Problem in Tank

In summary, it will take 3 hours and 48 minutes for the concentration of the solution to drop to 3.2 grams per litre.
kanki
Hi I'm a newbie and i have a problem here that i cannot solve, or i don't know how to solve. Hope you experts can help me out!
Here it is:
A tank contains 10 kg of sodium hydroxide in 1000 litres of water. Water is continuosly added to the tank at a rate of 5 litres/min so that the mixture is diluted evenly. At the same time, the solution flows out at the same rate. Initially, there were 10 grams of sodium hydroxide in every litre of water. How long will it take for the concentration of the solution to drop to 3.2 grams per litre?

Physics news on Phys.org
kanki said:
Hi I'm a newbie and i have a problem here that i cannot solve, or i don't know how to solve. Hope you experts can help me out!
Here it is:
A tank contains 10 kg of sodium hydroxide in 1000 litres of water. Water is continuosly added to the tank at a rate of 5 litres/min so that the mixture is diluted evenly. At the same time, the solution flows out at the same rate. Initially, there were 10 grams of sodium hydroxide in every litre of water. How long will it take for the concentration of the solution to drop to 3.2 grams per litre?

Hello Kanki. You know, you need to show a little work dude. It's best for you that way don't you think? Just make some attempt at solving it, anything, just move the numbers around the paper randomly, whatever, and show us what you did and explain what you think should be done. Here's one we worked on earlier (click on the link below). I bet a dollar if you follow it closely, you can figure out yours. Try it, then come back and say, "look, I tried to do this one, here's what I did <insert something here, anything>. Can you guys explain where I'm going wrong?" Or someone may just solve it. Well, what I said is what the general policy is anyway.

EvLer's mixing problem

Welcome to PF! :smile:

Last edited:
Oh I'm so excited now!
I have solved the problem after referring to the thread you gave me just now!
It's awesome... wow... and this problem is much more easier than EvLer's.
Thanks!

Here's the solution:

The rate of change of volume is constant. so V is a constant. And i just have to consider the change in the mass of the salt.

V = 1000 litres

let s = mass of salt in the solution

[tex]s(0)=10kg[/tex]
[tex]ds/dt=-5(s/v)[/tex] (after reading through the thread, i realize that i missed that mass of salt is volume x concentration)

[tex]ln|s|=-5/1000(t)+ln10[/tex]

concentration is 3.2 grams/litres and it's 3.2kg in 1000 litres.

By substituing the value s=3.2 kg
finally,

t = 227.89 minutes = 3 hours 48 seconds

kanki said:
Oh I'm so excited now!
I have solved the problem after referring to the thread you gave me just now!
It's awesome... wow... and this problem is much more easier than EvLer's.
Thanks!

Here's the solution:

The rate of change of volume is constant. so V is a constant. And i just have to consider the change in the mass of the salt.

V = 1000 litres

let s = mass of salt in the solution

[tex]s(0)=10kg[/tex]
[tex]ds/dt=-5(s/v)[/tex] (after reading through the thread, i realize that i missed that mass of salt is volume x concentration)

[tex]ln|s|=-5/1000(t)+ln10[/tex]

concentration is 3.2 grams/litres and it's 3.2kg in 1000 litres.

By substituing the value s=3.2 kg
finally,

t = 227.89 minutes = 3 hours 48 seconds

That's 3 hours and 48 minutes right?

Last edited:
Oh thanks for correcting me, I'm sorry! ha ha...

1. What is a concentration problem in a tank?

A concentration problem in a tank occurs when the desired concentration of a substance inside the tank is not achieved or maintained. This can be due to various factors such as incorrect calculations, mixing issues, or leaks.

2. How do you calculate the concentration of a substance in a tank?

The concentration of a substance in a tank can be calculated by dividing the amount of the substance in the tank by the total volume of the tank. This will give you the concentration in terms of mass per unit volume. To convert it to other units, you can use conversion factors.

3. What are some common methods for solving concentration problems in a tank?

Some common methods for solving concentration problems in a tank include dilution, adding more of the desired substance, or removing some of the excess substance. Other methods may include adjusting the flow rate of the incoming substance or improving mixing techniques.

4. What factors can affect the concentration in a tank?

There are several factors that can affect the concentration in a tank, such as the rate of inflow and outflow, the size and shape of the tank, the properties of the substance being added, and the mixing efficiency. External factors such as temperature and pressure can also impact the concentration.

5. How can concentration problems in a tank be prevented?

To prevent concentration problems in a tank, it is important to carefully calculate and measure the amount of substance being added. Regular maintenance and inspection of the tank can also help identify any potential issues before they become major problems. Proper mixing techniques and equipment can also help maintain a consistent concentration in the tank.