Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debunked : You guys will love this

1. Aug 9, 2004 #1
    Debunked!! : You guys will love this!!

I just read this in this month's SCIAM magazine:

Nice. :smile:

Edit:by Ivan: No, really not.

Only excerpts from copyright protected materials are allowed. I have edited this post accordingly. Please purchase the complete story

or purchase the magazine.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Littlewood was at Cambridge? I thought he was at Oxford! Hardy certainly was, and I had the impression of them as day-to-day colleagues.

(Added in edit). Google quickly shows me that not only was he the Rouse Ball professor of mathematics at Cambridge, but he was the son of a Cambridge don and spent his life there, apart from World War I. So much for impressions!
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  4. Aug 11, 2004 #3
    Oh, thanks Ivan. I didn't know. :frown:
  5. Aug 11, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh wow. :surprise: Yes this is a very serious violation. No problem but please limit any quotes to a paragraph or two. Never include the majority of the article.
  6. Aug 11, 2004 #5
    Really sorry!!
  7. Aug 11, 2004 #6

jimmy p

Gold Member

since when was self adjoint a super-mentor??? was that your birthday present??

Anyway, back to the article...

First, you have to believe in miracles... which usually means having a religious belief or outlook on life. And what is their definition of a miracle? It could just be 295 extraordinary events every day. This seems a little silly to me..
  8. Aug 11, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really, its okay. It was an honest mistake. :smile:

Ignore any warnings that you may have recieved. I cancelled that. :wink:
  9. Aug 14, 2004 #8
    thank you, thank you, thank you!! I will never post anything that's not mine again.

Actually, the article said 295 times everyday in America, not neccesarily per person. The 295 number is derived from an assumption where there are 295 million Americans. Each American thinks of someone they know in each 5 minute interval, thus leading to the fact(based on calculations and laws assumed) that 295 miracles happen everyday. This agrees with another fact presented: miracles occur once a month, on average, for each American. The article also says (in my own words) that this happens to 77 people a day.

In addition, whether or not you believe in miracles is not a factor. If it were, only some people would be subject to such improbable events, which become probable as I explained.
  10. Aug 14, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really I'm sorry about that. As soon as you apologized I realized that you weren't who I thought you were. I shouldn't have issued a formal warning so quickly. :smile:
  11. Aug 14, 2004 #10
    Debunked! ESP, Telekinesis and other Pseudoscience

The is actually an interesting book that backs up the sceptic view about many phenomena such as dowsing, coincidences ...

For instance it explains how many ordinary occurrences are generally regarded extraordinary (or coincidences) due to our unfamiliarity with probability and statistics.

The book is: Debunked!: ESP, Telekinesis and other Pseudoscience
    George Charpak and Henri Broch
    2004 Johns Hopkins University Press
  12. Aug 14, 2004 #11
    Thanks. I'll definitely check that out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?