Decay of sinusoidal velocity wave (kolmogorov flow)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
OldStudent0382
Messages
14
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Find the velocity field [itex]u(x,t)[/itex]

Homework Equations


[itex]\rho = constant[/itex]
[itex]u(0,t)=0[/itex]
[itex]u(0,L)=0[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = \nu \frac{\partial ^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]u(x,0)=U_{o}[sin(\frac{3\pi x}{L})+0.7sin(\frac{9\pi x}{L})][/itex]

upload_2015-5-2_13-1-11.png

The Attempt at a Solution



I have absolutely no idea how to start this problem (again) and I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been looking at it and searching for two hours -- and I have nothing to show for it.

Thank you in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Would this be approached similarly to unsteady couette flow? I spent a few more hours trying to research the problem (and the topic) and I'm either not finding anything relevant or I'm just so far lost that I'm not finding the connection between this assignment and what I've been reading.