Deciphering the Symbolic Shapes in Fundus Images: A Question on their Meaning

• I
  • Thread starter myquestion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, The rectangle on the sphere in fundus photography is a registration mark that tells you which eye the image is from.
myquestion
Hi,

I currently have to do with fundus images ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundus_photography ). I am wondering, if someone has an idea, what the meaning of the rectangle on the sphere means? (marked in the following in green) At this images it looks like a rectangle, I also saw some fundus images, which seem to have triangles or semi-circles attached.
I searched around, but couldn't find an explanation so far, why fundus cameras attach these symbols to the images.

fundus.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
You can tell which way up it is at a glance. Otherwise it's difficult to tell a left eye retina from an upside down right eye retina.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
It's not a symbol, by the way. Somewhere in the camera optics there's a mask with that circle-and-notch shape. You'll see it's always the same colour as the retina and sometimes you can see features like blood vessels going into it.

Thanks @Ibix for your answers.

> You can tell which way up it is at a glance. Otherwise it's difficult to tell a left eye retina from an upside down right eye retina.

But are ophthalmological devices, ever used in an upside down way, such that such an indication would be necessary? I also thought that it could have to do something to differentiate left- and right-eye images. But at the example images at wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundus_photography) they show a left and right eye image and the notch does not seem to give an indication on the left or right eye.

> It's not a symbol, by the way. Somewhere in the camera optics there's a mask with that circle-and-notch shape. You'll see it's always the same colour as the retina and sometimes you can see features like blood vessels going into it.

Yes, that was my impression also, that it's not just a symbol (sorry for naming it like that!). Therefore my question would have also been in the direction, whether there could be some optical reasons that the mask has this shape?

Last edited:
I am happy for further references, that give explanations on the background, why the camera optics in this case is as it is. (Unfortunately my search in the web was not that successful on it, but I might have searched for the wrong terms/words as I don't have a deeper background in optics.)

Ibix said:
It's not a symbol, by the way. Somewhere in the camera optics there's a mask with that circle-and-notch shape. You'll see it's always the same colour as the retina and sometimes you can see features like blood vessels going into it.
+1

1666013097150.png

1666013120149.png
1666013138077.png

Last edited:
myquestion said:
But are ophthalmological devices, ever used in an upside down way, such that such an indication would be necessary?
I think you are assuming that the images are always digital, which is not always the case. If the photo is hardcopy how do you know which way up it is if the image is purely circular? It's less important with digital images because the image will never be handed to you upside down (or back to front if it's on transparent film).

Likes sophiecentaur
myquestion said:
they show a left and right eye image and the notch does not seem to give an indication on the left or right eye.
I assume that the square is a registration mark - always top right of every image from every fundus camera, by convention. So whatever is done with the image (rotation / reflection ) you always know how to orientate what you are looking at. Then, the side where the optic disc is will tell you whether it's a right eye or left eye.
Registration marks are everywhere to resolve confusion. I use them all the time when I'm making things. That avoids (but, in my case, not completely) confusion.

1. What are fundus images?

Fundus images are photographs of the back of the eye, also known as the fundus. These images capture the structures of the eye including the retina, optic nerve, and blood vessels. They are commonly used to diagnose and monitor eye diseases such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy.

2. Why is it important to decipher the symbolic shapes in fundus images?

Deciphering the symbolic shapes in fundus images can provide valuable information about the health of the eye. Certain shapes, such as changes in the size or shape of blood vessels, can indicate the presence of eye diseases. By understanding these shapes, doctors can make accurate diagnoses and develop effective treatment plans.

3. How do scientists decipher the symbolic shapes in fundus images?

Scientists use various image processing and analysis techniques to decipher the symbolic shapes in fundus images. This involves using specialized software to enhance and analyze the images, as well as comparing them to established patterns and shapes associated with different eye diseases.

4. What is the significance of understanding the meaning of symbolic shapes in fundus images?

Understanding the meaning of symbolic shapes in fundus images can lead to early detection and treatment of eye diseases. This can prevent vision loss and improve the overall health of the eye. It also allows for better monitoring of disease progression and response to treatment.

5. Are there any limitations to deciphering the symbolic shapes in fundus images?

While deciphering the symbolic shapes in fundus images is an important tool in diagnosing and monitoring eye diseases, it is not the only factor that doctors consider. Other clinical information and tests, such as patient history and visual acuity, are also important in making a diagnosis. Additionally, the accuracy of deciphering the shapes may vary depending on the quality of the images and the experience of the person analyzing them.