Decoding an Even-Parity SECDED Character

• MHB
  • Thread starter DeathDealer
  • Start date
In summary: You can also try looking at the example questions in the MHB questions section to get an idea of how the tutor explains things.In summary, the explanation given by your tutor seems okay. However, you may still have some difficulty understanding some of the concepts. You can try looking at example questions in the MHB questions section to get a better understanding.
DeathDealer
Hey guys it feels like I'm banging my head against the wall when it comes to these types of questions. My tutor helped me out with a question but he didn't explain it to well he just wrote all he was doing down and expected me to know every single thing. I had to go through textbooks galore to understand half of it and I don't even know if we got it right in the end, needed tons of help. Now when i look at a similar question all I see is further confusion. Can someone help me out with this question and tell me if they think the one my tutor helped me with was right. I am sure after 2 examples ill be able to get my bearings. Cheers!

Question: An even-parity SECDED encoded character has been retrieved, with hexadecimal value View attachment 4304. Was there an error? If there was an error correct it (reporting corrected ASCII character) or explain why it couldn’t be corrected.This is the one my tutor "helped" me with:
View attachment 4302

Attachments

• tutor helped one-small.jpg
    tutor helped one-small.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 51
  • b.png
    b.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
RobJob said:
Hey guys it feels like I'm banging my head against the wall when it comes to these types of questions. My tutor helped me out with a question but he didn't explain it to well he just wrote all he was doing down and expected me to know every single thing. I had to go through textbooks galore to understand half of it and I don't even know if we got it right in the end, needed tons of help. Now when i look at a similar question all I see is further confusion. Can someone help me out with this question and tell me if they think the one my tutor helped me with was right. I am sure after 2 examples ill be able to get my bearings. Cheers!

Question: An even-parity SECDED encoded character has been retrieved, with hexadecimal value . Was there an error? If there was an error correct it (reporting corrected ASCII character) or explain why it couldn’t be corrected.

This is the one my tutor "helped" me with:

Hi RobJob! Welcome to MHB! :)

The explanation of your tutor seems fine to me.
Where are you stuck?
Perhaps you can start by splitting BEB16 into the same table?

What is an even-parity SECDED character?

An even-parity SECDED (Single Error Correction, Double Error Detection) character is a type of error detection and correction code used to ensure the accuracy of data stored in computer systems. It is a combination of an even-parity code and a bit for single error correction and a bit for double error detection.

How does even-parity SECDED character work?

Even-parity SECDED character works by adding an extra bit to the data being transmitted. This extra bit is either a 1 or a 0, depending on the number of 1s in the data. If there is an odd number of 1s, the extra bit will be a 1, making the total number of 1s even. If there is an even number of 1s, the extra bit will be a 0, keeping the total number of 1s even. This ensures that the total number of 1s in the data and the extra bit will always be even.

Why is even-parity SECDED character important?

Even-parity SECDED character is important because it helps to detect and correct errors that may occur during data transmission. By adding an extra bit to the data, this code can detect if a single bit has been flipped or if two bits have been flipped, allowing for corrections to be made. This ensures the accuracy and integrity of the data being transmitted.

What is the difference between even-parity and odd-parity codes?

The main difference between even-parity and odd-parity codes is the number of 1s that are required to make the total number of 1s even. In an even-parity code, the total number of 1s must be even, while in an odd-parity code, the total number of 1s must be odd. This means that even-parity codes have an extra bit that odd-parity codes do not have.

How is even-parity SECDED character used in computer systems?

Even-parity SECDED character is commonly used in computer systems to detect and correct errors in data transmission. It is also used in memory modules to ensure the accuracy of data stored in memory. Additionally, it is used in communication protocols to ensure the integrity of data being transmitted over networks.