Decoherence in the Heisenberg Picture

In summary, the author discusses how to use the Heisenberg picture to describe processes in the Caldeira-Leggett model.
LittleSchwinger
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Would anybody add anything to this account of Decoherence
When I'm teaching Advanced QM, I like to include how to describe some processes in the Heisenberg picture (e.g. double slit) so that a student's thinking isn't overly attached to the "dynamics of the quantum state", but they can also understand effects involving operator evolution. This is a sketch of how I go about decoherence, I was wondering if anybody has any other ideas. I assume familiarity with the mathematics of decoherence.

So we have a system ##S## and it's environment ##E## with Hamiltonian:
##H = H_{S}\otimes\mathbb{I}_{E} + \mathbb{I}_{S}\otimes H_{E} + H_{I}##

In the Heisenberg picture we then obtain the evolution operator for the observable algebra ##\mathcal{O}_{S}## alone via:
##\mathcal{T}_{t}\left(A_{S}\right) = P_{E}\left(e^{itH}A_{S}\otimes\mathbb{I}_{E} e^{-itH}\right)##

This operator gives us the "environment traced out" evolution of the operators. You can make quick arguments that for certain models ##T_{t} = e^{tG}## with ##G## given by a Markov Master equation you tend to get in decoherence studies.

We can then prove that the observable algebra splits as follows:
##\mathcal{O}_{S} = \mathcal{M}_{1} \oplus \mathcal{M}_{2}##
With ##T_{t}## reversible on ##\mathcal{M}_{1}##, but for ##\mathcal{M}_{2}## we have:
##\lim_{t\rightarrow\infty} Tr\left(\rho N\right) = 0, \quad \forall \rho, N \in \mathcal{M}_{2}##

Long story short that in the Heisenberg picture Decoherence causes operators which don't commute with the macroscopic collective coordinates to have all their statistical moments suppressed and effectively converge (in Trace Norm) to the zero operator.

I was wondering if anybody has any other ideas. Thanks. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Work about the quantum (non-Markovian) Langevin equation using the Caldeira-Leggett model can imho be treated as an example for an application of the Heisenberg picture to an open quantum system already in the QM 1 lecture. See, e.g., Sect. IV in

https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.37.4419

• Love
Likes LittleSchwinger

1. What is decoherence in the Heisenberg picture?

Decoherence in the Heisenberg picture is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the quantum state of a system becomes entangled with its environment, leading to the loss of coherence and the appearance of classical behavior.

2. How does decoherence occur in the Heisenberg picture?

Decoherence occurs in the Heisenberg picture due to the interaction between a quantum system and its surrounding environment, which leads to the entanglement of the system with its environment. This entanglement causes the system's quantum state to become mixed, resulting in the loss of coherence and the appearance of classical behavior.

3. What are the consequences of decoherence in the Heisenberg picture?

The consequences of decoherence in the Heisenberg picture include the loss of coherence and the appearance of classical behavior in a quantum system. This can make it difficult to observe and manipulate the quantum properties of a system, as they become hidden by the classical behavior.

4. Can decoherence be reversed in the Heisenberg picture?

Decoherence in the Heisenberg picture is a irreversible process, meaning that once a system becomes entangled with its environment, it is difficult to reverse the effects of decoherence. However, there are some methods and techniques that can be used to reduce the effects of decoherence and restore coherence to a system.

5. How does decoherence in the Heisenberg picture relate to the measurement problem in quantum mechanics?

Decoherence in the Heisenberg picture is often seen as a potential solution to the measurement problem in quantum mechanics. This is because the entanglement between a system and its environment can lead to the collapse of the wave function, which is a key aspect of the measurement problem. Decoherence helps to explain how classical behavior emerges from the quantum world, providing a possible explanation for the measurement process.