Decriminalization of Marijuana

• Thread starter mbisCool
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of marijuana possession and use, questioning whether the penalties for it are reasonable and if marijuana should be decriminalized. Some argue that the current criminalization is a waste of resources and that legalizing and taxing it could have a positive impact. Others mention issues with federally legalizing it and the potential for abuse. The UK recently increased its criminalization of marijuana, despite evidence showing it is less dangerous. The conversation also touches on the potential for homemade marijuana and the difficulty of controlling an intoxicating substance.
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/25/health/main3874664.shtml
For $200 and the cost of two required textbooks, students learn how to cultivate and cook with cannabis,...
You think the textbooks are copies of High Times? :biggrin: I remember seeing this magazine back in the 70s. I wonder if it still exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
You think the textbooks are copies of High Times? :biggrin: I remember seeing this magazine back in the 70s. I wonder if it still exist?

http://hightimes.com/

An article about two bills in the state of Washington made the cover of the Seattle Times just the other day, they would make possession a fine payable by mail; not that they will go through. One reason argued was that Washington should wait till the Federal Government takes marijuana out of schedule 1. Since congress won't even pass a bill to stop the prosecution of medical marijuana patients I see this as unlikely in the forseeable future :(

Its up to the west coast to change the country!

dlgoff said:

walk in your local barnes and noble or books-a-million and you will find books on the shelf that explain how to grow pot, and how to do it discretely.

Proton Soup said:
walk in your local barnes and noble or books-a-million and you will find books on the shelf that explain how to grow pot, and how to do it discretely.
Thanks but no. :rolleyes:

WhoWee said:
Instead of putting the money into the court system...open drug rehab centers that the entire family can visit and work through problems...with the incentive of keeping government benefits and with the possibility of INCREASED benefits if everyone in the family tests clean for 3 mos, 6 mos, etc.

Isn't this discussion about marijuana? From what I understand, marijuana is not physically addictive. Your brain has no physical need to use it. (It all has to do with dopamine and some other stuff.) That being said, rehab centers are usually for physically addictive drugs, not something like marijuana.

Families need help, communities need help and attitudes and environment need to change...make the problem unacceptable and provide clear incentives to make a change.

I totally agree that communities need help. However, drugs are looked down upon. I think it's just a different community or group that looks down upon it. It's a way of life for some people though. If the community in which they live does not look down upon it though, why should the user?

When I got a court ordered drug assessment at a treatment center it was a joke. The place is obviously for people with real drug problems eg. heroin. You go to benefit from group session and the questions they ask are obviously directed to real drug abusers such as getting withdrawals when you discontinue...

My biggest withdrawal symptom, periodic boredom?

I don't think sending kids to outpatient for marijuana really does anything...

A friend of mine was pulled over the other day. The washington state trooper confiscated her pipe, lighter, about 3/4 ounce of marijuana, not her scale which is covered in keif, and didnt cite her for anything. I suspect foul play here!

Ivan I've been hearing commercials on the radio lately for a company that sells hydroponic equipment for organic growers. I think your links spread a bit of light on that.

mbisCool said:
A friend of mine was pulled over the other day. The washington state trooper confiscated her pipe, lighter, about 3/4 ounce of marijuana, not her scale which is covered in keif, and didnt cite her for anything. I suspect foul play here!
that's common in some places around here. some cops don't realyy care that much about marijuana use but they have to do something or they can get in trouble. just last night at work I had to call the police on a resident who turned out to be on probation and whose apartment was very obviously hotboxed. the officer gave him a hard time and threatened to search the apartment but decided in the end that he had better things to be doing.